• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How'd you get started in the denim/fashion game?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I was talking to Jet last night and in the course of our conversation we began discussing how it was that we became interested in dry jeans or street fashion in general. I'm also curious to see how it is that people came to stumble upon style forvm but will make a separate thread in "General" seeing as how it's a much broader topic and the traddies don't tread down this side of the forum much.

To start, I've be interested in clothing since I was a kid but never really cared how it all came together until college. I was searching around for RL polos and came across RRL jeans. Had no idea what selvage was but loved how they were completely dark and free of any markings/labels/etc. Thus began my credit card's slow descent into hell.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've loved denim/clothes since I was a teen-ager in school Denim was verboten because I attended a private school for boys and had to wear school uniform. I think I became a rebel and used clothes to express my individuality. A lot of my influence I think came from my parents, as they are both well-dressed. My dad is a total peacock. lol!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always loved clothing; however, I don't have a denim fetish.

I attended an elementary school that also had a uniform policy. I remember I decided I didn't like being dictated to and went to school in my own clothes until being suspended to compel me to wear their designated things--I used to get suspended a lot in school.

Oltmann

Reaction score
One of my spurned lovers prayed to Aphrodite to punish me for turning her away. Since there were no ponds available, I got stuck staring at this forum.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only been interested in raw/dry denim in the last 6 months or so, but I've fallen hard since then. I have become a devout reader of all denim related topics here...

Clothing has always been of great interest to me. Only now do I feel like I'm starting to develop a real sense of style though. I have this forum to thank, as well as some books I've started to read.

Max

Reaction score
I just want to look good. As for jeans, I always thought pre-faded looks stupid.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm....

ive always been very particular about clothes, but never to the level i am now. i think it started with my last girlfriend and going to thrift stores with her and seeing the crazy outfits she would put together. i started looking for timeless vintage stuff, and of course levis was on the top of that list. i was looking at some on ebay one day and caome across some that said "selvage"

did a search and found superfuture. in that, i found a community of people who were as obsessive about the little details of things as i am.

its all been downhill from there.

mikesduc

Reaction score
I think I have OCD. Japanese denim in particular is a good fit for me in that regards. No pun intended.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day I looked into the mirror and saw myself. That's when I knew I had to do something...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been into fashion, ever since I was desperate to pick up some Polo gear in Grade 5 or so in HK, and my aunt laughed and said that I had so much to learn to really know stuff about fashion.
As for the raw denim stuff, that happened shortly after I moved to LA, in late 1998 or so. I got involved with some garment trade people, and introduced to APC, which was referred to as "a brand that French djs like." I always like them to look 1)pitch dark and 2)slouchier (always into the more fitted top, slouchier pants too), though, so it was the Anglaise cut for me.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've always been a clothes horse but my like of denim started with a pair of helmut lang raw denim in his classic cut that i bought in january 2000 - as someone said above, it was the fascination on how good the dark non-distressed denim looked - i knew nothing about raw denim at the time and just took a gamble on them

i still have that first pair of hl, seven years old this month and i've still never washed them .....

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its not no game
boxing[1].gif

just kidding

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've always been into subcultures that were based on a distinct look (skinhead, mod, punk etc) and despite the uniformity of it all, it definitely was what opened my eyes to 'fashion/style' in general that still influences what I buy and wear today, 20+ years later.

as for denim, I didnt appreciate good denim/selvage until I started hanging out in the rockabilly scene more. Selvage denim has always been a big part of the 'traditional rockabilly' scene and I remember someone at a store explaining the glory of japanese denim to me many years ago and looking at her like "wtf are you talking about", then next thing you know I'm trying to hunt down 90s repro LVC like it was the holy grail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads