• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how would you word this email?

junior varsity

Reaction score
my gf wants to get an internship this summer and shes been F- at it and got no results.
so my friends dad's company is in her field, so she wants to email him for an unpaid internship to at least get some experience.
my friends dad doesnt know her, and dont really know me..

so if my gf is sending my friend's dad the email... how would you go at it???

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
ask your friend first.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Last edited:

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approach it as any other business letter.

Concise, clear language telling him what she can offer and what the company has to offer.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i did, he said email his dad.
but how to word it, is the problem ..

Your friend can't talk to his dad so at least he'll expect an email instead of receiving an unsolicited email somehow sent directly to him?

junior varsity

Reaction score

Your friend can't talk to his dad so at least he'll expect an email instead of receiving an unsolicited email somehow sent directly to him?

well cuz my friend is in red neck ville no mans land (moved after school) and hes dads in my town

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well cuz my friend is in red neck ville no mans land (moved after school) and hes dads in my town

Ah, yes. No Internet, postal, or telephone services between the "red neck ville" and "my town". My great grandfather told me of these long-ago days when I was a wee lad.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, your friend should broach it with his pops first. There's no classy way to word a "Hi, I'm _____, girlfriend of _____ who is friends with your son, ________. I'm really interested in ___________, would it be possible to meet to discuss an unpaid internship? Thanks! xoxo"

After your friend introduces the subject to his father and gets a favorable response, your gf can then email him.

junior varsity

Reaction score

Yeah, your friend should broach it with his pops first. There's no classy way to word a "Hi, I'm _____, girlfriend of _____ who is friends with your son, ________. I'm really interested in ___________, would it be possible to meet to discuss an unpaid internship? Thanks! xoxo"
After your friend introduces the subject to his father and gets a favorable response, your gf can then email him.

yeah i havent talked to my buddy since high school lmao... but i still thought to try to network for my facepalm gf ...
better long shot than no shot?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

No, what this really means that your "friend" has no interest in advocating for your GF. Help her craft the email, but know that it will go nowhere.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, what this really means that your "friend" has no interest in advocating for your GF. Help her craft the email, but know that it will go nowhere.

Yep. You're being pawned off. I would probably do the same thing if someone I knew in high school but hadn't talked to since called me out of the blue trying to help his GF get a job at my dad's company.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yeah i havent talked to my buddy since high school lmao... but i still thought to try to network for my facepalm gf ...
better long shot than no shot?

You think it's smart to have your gf contact the father of a friend for a job even though you havent bothered to keep in touch with him in years? You're just gonna look like an ass.

Your girlfriend should call/email the dad herself and pretend she doesn't know you and his son knew each other. You can coach her through it but your fingerprints should be no where near this (as in she shouldn't mention you or his son).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads