How would you wear this as a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oscarthewild, Dec 2, 2004.

1. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I am thinking of getting a suit in this suit fabric Any opinions? Â Or should I restrict myself to a sportcoat. Just picked up a suit length of this suit fabric 2 Cant wait to get it stitched

2. ROT

ROT Senior member

How do you feel about Norfolk jackets and plus fours [​IMG] ? Otherwise you'd have to stick to a 1900s kind of cut. 3 button, high gorge, slim fitting, no pleats, no break sort of thing I guess. A vest, would be nice too. A sportcoat would be safest, but I still think a Norfolk jacket would work well. If you go through with it, be sure to post some pics.

3. Phil

Phil Senior member

Id second the Norfolk coat. I LOVE those coats. I have several, and they are just the greatest thing. You never see them anymore, have to get them made usually, which makes them that much better. Ive gotten stopped on the street several times over the years and asked where I happened to get a particular Norfolk coat I was wearing.

4. oscarthewild

would you be kind enough to post some pictures. .... and tailor recommendations.

5. Alexis

Alexis Senior member

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That was pretty funny Alexis. I think that that might be taken as a genuine suggestion though. Sigh.

7. oscarthewild

Thanks,

I hope Phil posts some pictures of HIS norfolk jackets.

-

8. Phil

Phil Senior member

I own 5 Norfolk coats. None have the belt that goes all the way around. They have half belts, and while they all have bi-swing backs, some have pleats also in the back. I have gotten one from Mimmo Spanno, and its in a 18 ounce donegal tweed (black and white). Its a 3 button, leather wrapped, duel vented. The others are all Polo MTM. I think they look great with everything from gray flannels to jeans. I dont know how to post pics, or else I would. I dont own a digital camera, but I guess I could scan something if I could figure out how to post. I have a catalog in my head of about 50 pics I would like to post, but I am sorry to say I am very computer illiterate.

9. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

Alexis, I have been looking online for pictures such as those...I think they're kind of cool to soo. Where did you find that one?

10. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Although the Norfolk jacket is certainly appropriate for the fabric, I'm not sure you can wear it to the office on a regular basis (unless you work at Holland and Holland). What shirt would you wear? Tattersall flannel and wool knit comes to mind, as you need texture. Obviously, great for informal occasions and country wear.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

Would be nice for winter pyjama

12. ROI

ROI Well-Known Member

There's too much white in the 2nd cloth for a suit, particularly a winter suit.  I'd stick with a sport coat, and, has been suggested, the sportier, the better.  Whatever garment you eventually have made, make sure to have the red/rust lines on the vertical.  Since they are much more prominent than the light blue or orange, putting the red/rust lines on the horizontal would make any coat look like a rugby shirt.

13. oscarthewild

ROI, Thanks, I missed the auction for the bigger check but it'll most likely be back and I agree that red lines need to go vertical. To see large check suits at work check suit Thanks

14. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

Are you joking?

15. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

To paraphrase some forgotten boulevardier, "If you have to ask, you shouldn't have a suit made out of it."

Will