• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How would you rate Gianni Campagna suits of Caraceni?

Chris "Italia"

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Messages
516
Reaction score
0
Would you say they are one of the best made suits in the world, better than Kiton?
 

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
16,848
Reaction score
2,965
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
Would you say they are one of the best made suits in the world, better than Kiton?


I never heard of him till I googled this Forbes article!

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2000/0124/6502171a.html

Sounds interesting. Probably mostly true but some exaggerations. 63 hours per suit!! $12,000 for a Vicuna suit!!! I doubt it, but with his customer list, I'm sure he put's puts out a quality product.

Better than Kiton? I doubt it! In the same league as Kiton? Perhaps!
 

Chris "Italia"

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Messages
516
Reaction score
0
He only makes 700 handmade suits a year.

I would say it's a little better than Kiton.... Considering Kiton makes 20 thousand per year.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,069
They are overprived and not that good at all from what I hear. There are at least two better Caraceni shops in Italy if not three.
 

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
3,203
Reaction score
35
Would you say they are one of the best made suits in the world, better than Kiton?
I would imagine they are one of the best in the world, and probably better than Kiton...or in the same league at the least. I think Caraceni is mainly bespoke, while Kiton is mainly RTW.

The styles are also different...Kiton is from Naploli while Caraceni is from Milan, I think.

$12,000 for a Vicuna suit!!!
The price tag would probably be similar even if it was not Caraceni.
 

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
675
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
Would you say they are one of the best made suits in the world, better than Kiton?
No. Gianni Campagna bought the name, but the quality of the suits are nowhere as good as the Caraceni brothers in Rome or the 'true' Caraceni in Milan.
 

GMF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by T4phage
No. Gianni Campagna bought the name, but the quality of the suits are nowhere as good as the Caraceni brothers in Rome or the 'true' Caraceni in Milan.

I'm always curious when someone makes an absolute statement like this. On what is your assessment based? Ownership of suits from all three establishments?
 

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
675
Originally Posted by GMF
I'm always curious when someone makes an absolute statement like this. On what is your assessment based? Ownership of suits from all three establishments?
Own:
Kiton
Caraceni Roma
Examined in Milan:
Campagna
Caraceni Milan.
 

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
1,528
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
Would you say they are one of the best made suits in the world, better than Kiton?

How do you define "best?" If more hand-work, that's one thing... However, when discussing suits of this level, the purchase isn't decided on the amount of hand-work, which is all pretty comprable (Kiton, St. Andrews, Caraceni). It's more about styling preferances as each make is completely different.
 

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
1,528
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
He only makes 700 handmade suits a year.

I would say it's a little better than Kiton.... Considering Kiton makes 20 thousand per year.


Kiton employs more tailors... most of whom go undisputed as among the best in the game.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,069
Originally Posted by T4phage
Own:
Kiton
Caraceni Roma
Examined in Milan:
Campagna
Caraceni Milan.

Any reason why you have not ordered from Caraceni in Milan?
 

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
675
Originally Posted by iammatt
Any reason why you have not ordered from Caraceni in Milan?
Because I am usually in "Africa" more often!

Seriously, I liked the cut and fit of the Roman branch, and to start off anew with a big name establishment is expensive!
 

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
675
Originally Posted by GMF
I'm always curious when someone makes an absolute statement like this. On what is your assessment based? Ownership of suits from all three establishments?
btw... what THREE establishments?

Kiton & Caraceni by Campagna = MTM
Caraceni Roma & A.Caraceni Milan = Bespoke.
 

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
1,528
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by iammatt
Any reason why you have not ordered from Caraceni in Milan?

Caraceni has a sterling reputation among Italians. Many consider them to make the highest quality, "best" suit in the world. I have no personal experience... maybe one day.

Castangia is also another maker in this class... I love their styling as well.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,173
Messages
9,166,968
Members
192,551
Latest member
MLHM

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top