• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Would You Rank These 7 Shoe Brands?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
If you speak zee German you can phone Vass directly, and explore what they can do for you. Additionally, they've got dealers in Austria and Germany who might be of help.
This is as much info concerning Vass as I can reveal. The rest is classified

Nope, sometimes speaking the best English is challenge enough for me, LOL!
But I might hold open the possibility of emailing Vass headquarters for advice. They probably have someone there who can read English.

Jerry

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
1. Vass
2. Santoni FAM (handmade)
3. Alden
4. Moreschi
5. Gravati and Mezlan
6. Pliner (never heard of them)

I respectfully disagree as to the ranking of Gravati. I would place above Moreschi and way above Mezlan. I find much of the Mezlan line to be no better and often worse than AE. The Gravatis I own (4 pair) are far more substantial, have higher quality leather, and are more aesthetically pleasing. The Moreschi are fine shoes, but seem not quite at the Gravati level.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I respectfully disagree as to the ranking of Gravati. I would place above Moreschi and way above Mezlan. I find much of the Mezlan line to be no better and often worse than AE. The Gravatis I own (4 pair) are far more substantial, have higher quality leather, and are more aesthetically pleasing. The Moreschi are fine shoes, but seem not quite at the Gravati level.
It was interesting to hear your feelings about Gravati. The only real negative I've heard (and more than once) is that they are somewhat "lighter" made shoes, suggesting maybe thinner leather? But I've never seen them in person so can't comment myself. You are also the second person I've read who has given a slight quality edge to Gravati over Moreschi, which is interesting. I do think some of the Moreschi styles online look nice, but that doesn't address how well they're made or their comfort. Again, I've never seen them in person.

Jerry

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aesthetically, Alden & Vass can be considered in one camp with the Italians, save a few Santonis, falling into the lightweight Italian design philosophy.

Mezlan and Pliner are the most entry level brands of the shoes you listed. Pliner are either glued or blake stiched, retail for upwards of $200+, and aren't much better than the stuff sold at BR. Mezlan are at least reasonably constructed, though the materials are budget minded and less comfortable than the more expensive alternatives.

Moreschi and Gravati ares similar in their construction and materials. Both use lightweight leather interlinings and blake construction which leads to a highly flexible, thin soled, sleeker shoe. If you equate the weight of Aldens with quality, then these aren't the shoes for you. Gravati get the edge for more conservative designs and slightly better lasting. Both companies provide a closer toebox through the heel and toe box than their American counterparts.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant

Moreschi and Gravati ares similar in their construction and materials. Both use lightweight leather interlinings and blake construction which leads to a highly flexible, thin soled, sleeker shoe. If you equate the weight of Aldens with quality, then these aren't the shoes for you. Gravati get the edge for more conservative designs and slightly better lasting. Both companies provide a closer toebox through the heel and toe box than their American counterparts.

Largely agree. However, I have two pairs of very substantial Gravati. One is a wonderful dark brown split toe on a double-sole. The other is a more conservative slip-on, but still subtantial.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Largely agree. However, I have two pairs of very substantial Gravati. One is a wonderful dark brown split toe on a double-sole. The other is a more conservative slip-on, but still subtantial.

Which shop ordered the commission? BG, who stocks Gravati definitely have a mix of styles. Korshak and Cenci both prefer the lightweight versions, and Franco's seems/seemed to have pretty wide range of styles. As JCusey has stated in the past, Gravati gets the nod for providing one of the most flexible design and production programs among the Italian makers for their eponymous labeled shoes.

Jerry52

Reaction score

Norcaltransplant suggested that if I like the "weight" of Alden, then I'd be disappointed by most Moreschi or Gravati, so I'm just curious if you, marc, have had a chance to compare your heavier Gravati to a typical Alden, and what was the comparison like? Are your heavier-weight Gravatis current or a few years old? Maybe they've recently cheapened the grade???

Jerry

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Aesthetically, Alden & Vass can be considered in one camp with the Italians, save a few Santonis, falling into the lightweight Italian design philosophy.

Mezlan and Pliner are the most entry level brands of the shoes you listed. Pliner are either glued or blake stiched, retail for upwards of $200+, and aren't much better than the stuff sold at BR. Mezlan are at least reasonably constructed, though the materials are budget minded and less comfortable than the more expensive alternatives.

I guess of all the comments you made Norcaltransplant the one about more cramped fit than the American shoes would worry me the most...is that a general characteristic of most Italian, Spanish and English shoes versus the Aldens or Allen-Edmonds?

Jerry

maboubakr

Reaction score
I tried only Santoni and Moreschi...Both are awesome shoes..I rate Santoni higher....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads