• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you handle this situation with a girl?

Maverick_

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been seeing this girl for a few weeks, we have made out and thought we liked each other because we text each other quite a lot. We travel a lot in our careers so don't always get to meet regularly which I understand. But lately I am not so sure about her and here's a recent situation:

If you are seeing this girl, and propose to make some plans let's say to see them on the weekend.

You discuss via text, about meeting each other on Saturday morning and she replies she's available Sunday eve. You reply back saying Sunday eve is good but she doesn't text back to confirm the whole of Saturday, and the whole of Sunday, and only messages on Monday to say she had 'flu'.

What would you do?

Considering two weeks before she also said she had 'flu', and overslept for another meet before. I gave her the benefit of doubt these two times but I am interested in hearing what you would do about the above.

A normal person would have at least texted to say they are ill and can't make it (I certainly have). It seemed a little rude to me and I felt like it disrespected my time. I like her but it also makes me not want to see her anymore.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If she was into you she would have texted even if she wasn't feeling well. That or she is just really self absorbed and didn't even think about it, both of which are bad signs.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi guys,

I have been seeing this girl for a few weeks, we have made out and thought we liked each other because we text each other quite a lot. We travel a lot in our careers so don't always get to meet regularly which I understand. But lately I am not so sure about her and here's a recent situation:

If you are seeing this girl, and propose to make some plans let's say to see them on the weekend.

You discuss via text, about meeting each other on Saturday morning and she replies she's available Sunday eve. You reply back saying Sunday eve is good but she doesn't text back to confirm the whole of Saturday, and the whole of Sunday, and only messages on Monday to say she had 'flu'.

What would you do?

Considering two weeks before she also said she had 'flu', and overslept for another meet before. I gave her the benefit of doubt these two times but I am interested in hearing what you would do about the above.

A normal person would have at least texted to say they are ill and can't make it (I certainly have). It seemed a little rude to me and I felt like it disrespected my time. I like her but it also makes me not want to see her anymore.

You just stole the beta of the year award from idfnl. Congrats.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Hi guys,

What would you do?

Move on. She'll probably try to string you along a bit more, but resist the urge to indulge. It's not going to be worth it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above.

SchwererGustav

Reaction score

After one instance of flaking, you could consider giving her "the benefit of the doubt"; yet you're asking us for permission after a third? Move on, man.

Maverick_

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I don't know why but I am the one feeling burnt. I know I did the right thing by calling her out on it, but the fact that she hasn't contacted me since I wrote the message kinda shocks me.

How would you interpret the situation?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
**** happens, move on. Sounds like she wasn't as interested as you are or circumstances changed on her side or any number of scenarios. Go out there and get someone else.

view it as an external event, one time incident, and uncontrollable. It'll help you move on.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Hi guys,

I don't know why but I am the one feeling burnt. I know I did the right thing by calling her out on it, but the fact that she hasn't contacted me since I wrote the message kinda shocks me.

How would you interpret the situation?

You should buy her something expensive and then report back.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
She was meant for you, how could she betray that most sacred of compacts!!! You need to set her on fire, that'll teach her. Maybe you're just not that interesting?

Maverick_

Reaction score

She was meant for you, how could she betray that most sacred of compacts!!! You need to set her on fire, that'll teach her. Maybe you're just not that interesting?

That's a bit harsh. I think I am a pretty interesting guy.

I let her know about this and we haven't contacted each other since, which is about a 4 weeks ago now.

I am pretty sure I will see her on a social occasion through a mutual friend. My idea is to be indifferent and take it easy.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the trick is not to try and pretend to be indifferent and easy going. You actually have to BE indifferent and easy going. Swallow hard and let it go and move on and remove any expectations about what might happen (eg like hope).

Emotions fill the gap between expectations and reality. For as long as you build up a hope/dream/belief about what might be, and the reality doesn't match it, you're going to feel a negative emotion.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the trick is not to try and pretend to be indifferent and easy going. You actually have to BE indifferent and easy going. Swallow hard and let it go and move on and remove any expectations about what might happen (eg like hope).

Emotions fill the gap between expectations and reality. For as long as you build up a hope/dream/belief about what might be, and the reality doesn't match it, you're going to feel a negative emotion.

I'd like to be associated with the words of the last speaker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads