• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you feel if someone wore a black suit with drape to your (daytime) wedding?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
If they didn't follow the dress code on the invitation i'd be offended, otherwice I would't mind.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"He is wearing a black suit, in the day, what a fool ... but it has drape .... so it must be ok .... but it's black...."

Are just trying to see which trumps which in SF groupthink?

Personally, so long as it was within the dress code I wouldn't feel anything either way, its unlikely to be a calculated insult on the part of the suit wearer.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
The majority of my friends don't own more than one suit, or they don't have any dress clothes. I wouldn't be surprised. Most people just don't care about this stuff. The fact that they went through the effort to put on dress clothes would be enough for me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would welcome them as much as any other guest. There is nothing wrong with this unless I had specified white suits - and even then why berate individualism - it is the wearer who has to carry it off.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would help myself to the champagne on his serving tray
laugh.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
How would you feel if someone wore a black suit with drape to your (daytime) wedding?
confused.gif

Depends-- is it hip?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they wore it with band-aid colored shoes then I would applaud. Anything less and security would remove them.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Depends-- is it hip?

Hip? That depends on the shirt and pocket square combo, and how swank the wedding is. :wink: (hmmm...why isn't the smiley working?)

The permutations are telling. American wedding guests want to marry the bride, and dress accordingly. A West Ender, in contrast, wants to marry the groom. He will dress with his tribal markings for those in the know.

I refuse to judge. Those who think that I do are quite simply insane. I haven't thought this through enough yet. I realize that I might be dominating this thread, so perhaps I should now turn things to the more arrogant know it alls in their jobber suits.

- B

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they had to attend a funeral afterwards I'd be down with that.
satisfied.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
confused.gif

Is this a theoretical question, or it must have already happened. How did YOU feel?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
The majority of my friends don't own more than one suit, or they don't have any dress clothes. I wouldn't be surprised. Most people just don't care about this stuff. The fact that they went through the effort to put on dress clothes would be enough for me.

+1.

If it was my wedding (and god forbid I ever get hitched), I think the last thing on my mind would be, "Oh my god, T-Bone and Lunchbox are IDIOTS! They wore black suits to MY daytime wedding! Way to completely ruin my day"

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just have a very description Attire section under the invitation: "As this is a daytime wedding, no black will be permitted for gentlemen. Also as this is in the country, feel free to bring out the tweeds. Thanks"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads