• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you dress if you feared the end was near?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I admit it. I lay it on very thick satorically at times, but sometimes it just seems the right thing to do.
I had chest pains early Wednesday morning. It was a bit scary and after calling my doctor, I went to the emegency room at a nearby hospital. They thought it might be serious and I was kept there 10 hours, hooked up to an IV and a heart montoring device while they did various tests including x-rays, blood work and a nuclear stress test. After everything was completely negative, they concluded it was a muscle strain and let me go.
They were surprised when they suggested I wear sweat pants for my test on the treadmill and my wife said I owned none. I just wore my suit trousers. When I fully dressed again after being told I was being discharged, the nurse took one look at me and said: "Wow!" I had worn a red/white stripe on navy Oxxford suit, a minature red check Robert Talbott shirt, a red/black foulard Michelson of London tie, and black C&J handgrade shoes.
I had chosen this ensemble to wear to the hospital thinking of the last behavior of Benjamin Guggenheim. On learning that the Titanic was definitely going to founder and that there were only enough lifeboats for most of the women and children, he and his valet returned to their staterooms and donned their best evening wear. On his return to the top deck, he said: "We are now dressed in our best and determined to go down like gentlemen."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A372584

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While I have never been in any circumstances of medical emergency , I can imagine the anxiety of being asked to wear "sweatpants".

There shouldn't be any lessening of standards just because you are in an hospital or somewhere relatively inaccessible to civilized niceties--for example travelling.

Death should be where all beauty shines, rather like a surge of glory for a general in a resplendent uniform before being killed or like BMW almost coming to their financial death producing that 507.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
They were surprised when they suggested I wear sweat pants for my test on the treadmill and my wife said I owned none. I just wore my suit trousers.

You outdid me by quite a bit. I wore an odd jacket and khakis to my stress test as my walking shoes would have looked silly with a suit.

If in fear of the end, should one dress for the current time of day or the expected time of the open casket?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it was nothing serious, Mr. Pollock. I suppose when you get up to our age level, we are attuned to such intimations of mortality.

When the time comes to cash in my chips and escape this lingering existence, I too hope I go out dressed like a gentleman.

The sad fact is that many of us will probably kick the bucket wearing hospital gowns--the most unattractive, ignominious, humiliating garment ever conceived!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Glad to hear it was nothing serious, Mr. Pollock. I suppose when you get up to our age level, we are attuned to such intimations of mortality.

When the time comes to cash in my chips and escape this lingering existence, I too hope I go out dressed like a gentleman.

The sad fact is that many of us will probably kick the bucket wearing hospital gowns--the most unattractive, ignominious, humiliating garment ever conceived!

Not if you kick the bucket yourself.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the skins of my enemies.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Not if you kick the bucket yourself.
As LabelKing recently alluded to in a thread on Devil's Island, the Japanese historically were noted for their ability to kill themselves with dignity, thereby retaining, or even augmenting, their honor. Unfortunately too many of them now jump in front of trains or hang or suffocate themselves, etc. Not quite the same as seppuku.

If it is at all within my control I will not go out in a hospital gown; I think a death like Rubirosa's or Nelson Rockefeller's would be much more satisfying.

To answer the original question: in the very best that I have.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, glad to hear there was nothing to your ordeal on Wednesday, Ken.

Second, if I'm dying, I'll have bigger things on my mind!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
As LabelKing recently alluded to in a thread on Devil's Island, the Japanese historically were noted for their ability to kill themselves with dignity, thereby retaining, or even augmenting, their honor. Unfortunately too many of them now jump in front of trains or hang or suffocate themselves, etc. Not quite the same as seppuku. If it is at all within my control I will not go out in a hospital gown; I think a death like Rubirosa's or Nelson Rockefeller's would be much more satisfying. To answer the original question: in the very best that I have.
Or go down a la Trujillo, shooting down one of your assassins before being finally shot dead.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes547.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or go down a la Trujillo, shooting down one of your assassins before being finally shot dead.

Why be content with just one? If you are going to be killed in battle, much better to be found under or surrounded by a heap of dead enemies!

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Another excellent choice.

On the subject of dictators, many people praised Saddam for his composure in the moments before he was hanged. Yet a more dignified death would have been to perish in a gun battle with the "Crusaders" - just like his sons. The Japanese attitude toward surrender may be instructive in this regard.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Why be content with just one? If you are going to be killed in battle, much better to be found under or surrounded by a heap of dead enemies!
Ah, but he was riding in a car and assaulted by a number of assassins.

I'm reminded of King Zog who was one of the few leaders ever to return fire with their assassins.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Ah, but he was riding in a car and assaulted by a number of assassins.

I'm reminded of King Zog who was one of the few leaders ever to return fire with their assassins.

Much better than the Archduke Franz Ferdinand who basically went out like a *****. Though admittedly the fatal shot hit him in the neck, he was wearing a bulletproof vest made of...silk.

CoryB

Reaction score
I've always admired the thought of the gentlemen of the Titantic dying in their finest. I hope that I can die a similarly dignified death.

A few months ago I was involved with pulling a unconscious diver out of the ocean. The waves quite nearly pulled me into the water and after, having had a bit of time to reflect on nearly dying, I was most annoyed that I lost my sunglasses. The thought didn't persist long, but I thought it most odd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads