• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how would you describe our "hobby"?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to avoid talking clothes with people in the real world. Its my dirty little secret. With the exception of the gf, people seem to notice that I dress well but dont know that clothing is an actual hobby of mine. For many of us it goes beyond aesthetics to include workmanship, brand history, etc...

But if you did have to tell someone, how would you sum it up without sounding like a wanky pretentious vapid twat?

"I'm into style?" - Blech
"Sartorialism" - WTF
"Fashion" - I dont really care about runway collections (and I have a penis).

Foodies might say that they are into gastronomy which while it may come off a little poncy sounds a hell of a lot better than "eating". What are we into?

K

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I call it "mens style." My real problem is when I have to explain to other people how I know SF members that I have met in real life. "Um, I met him on an internet forum about mens clothing."
confused.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I call it "mens style." "Um, I met him on an internet forum about mens clothing."
confused.gif

That's the definition of "the ****"
teacha.gif

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call it "mens style." My real problem is when I have to explain to other people how I know SF members that I have met in real life. "Um, I met him on an internet forum about mens clothing."
confused.gif

Say you met him on an internet forum for bondage enthusiasts. It's less embarrassing.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it comes up, I tell people I like clothes/shoes and to know how to dress appropriately for the (an) occasion.

If they think this is pretentious/snobby, that's their issue but, quite frankly, it doesn't really come up that often. My fiancee laughs at me and humors me but I know she thinks it's a little obsessive.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
The ****?

Teh ****.

But seriously, discussing the style obsession with non-forumites is something I avoid doing.

I find it the equivalent of those people who groom themselves in public.

Looking good should at least look effortless.

Discussing it sorta draws back the curtain on the illusion.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I generally try an steer away from such discussions, but recently I have ended up in situations where the question is logical... (dont ask)

K

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Like I said, I generally try an steer away from such discussions, but recently I have ended up in situations where the question is logical... (dont ask)

K

Oh but I must, I must.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have only once mentioned to somebody, aside from my wife, this forum. it didn't go well.

if I introduce a person I met on this forum to somebody else (which I think has only happened with Tiger02) I say "oh, he and I go way back" in a tone that doesn't really suggest I am going to eleborate on it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
confused.gif

How about, "Something went haywire with the eHarmony algorithm, but at least I made a (platonic) friend out of it."

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Recently had this come up in a professional situation. You just have to make some **** up. Very weird, but what else can you do?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have only once mentioned to somebody, aside from my wife, this forum. it didn't go well.

if I introduce a person I met on this forum to somebody else (which I think has only happened with Tiger02) I say "oh, he and I go way back" in a tone that doesn't really suggest I am going to eleborate on it.

Originally Posted by Manton
How about, "Something went haywire with the eHarmony algorithm, but at least I made a (platonic) friend out of it."

Originally Posted by JoelF
Recently had this come up in a professional situation. You just have to make some **** up. Very weird, but what else can you do?
I'm thinking of saying, "We met through a common friend." The common friend being Al Gore, inventor of the interwebz.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf was actually the one who blew my cover. We were out with friends and she casually mentionned that I'm always on some `shoe blog`. No harm, no foul as nobody was really surprised! If anything, people are rather supportive of my so called hobby. In fact, my gf's father always asks me if I bought any new shoes whenever he's over at our place! I guess he `gets it`.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads