• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how would you describe our "hobby"?

Histrion

Reaction score
I've been in situations where I had to "admit it". People did not really care. They know that it pretty much suits my interests anyway so they are fine with that. Then again, I only told people that are themselves sartorially inclined.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Have some pride. Like Teger here. Represent.

Originally Posted by Teger
***** please, you need to spend less time feebly working this bullshit gucci job and more time reading the best forum - the style forum. sometimes I like to sit down after a hard day at work or a few hours spent harassing ignorant peasants like you and get to posting with my e-buds. we ******* light that **** up - there's so many pixelated cell phone shots of berluti shoes that your world would be ******* blown WIDE OPEN. you ever heard of my boy portney? that's mr a portney to you, *****, and he is a ******* connoisseur of the finest shoes in the world. you are lucky he isn't here today when you tried to bring your bullshit gucci game, or he would ******* have your ass fired. his annual shoe budget exceeds the GDP of some third world countries. oh, how do I know him? I don't NEED to know him - I live vicariously through his purchases on an anonymous message board.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I get off easy. Pretty much anyone who knows me expects me to know very detailed and random facts about most things, so a bizzare knowledge of clothing is not too out of the ordinary.

emptym

Reaction score
I tell people everything.

Then I tell them to join.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
you're lucky, Eccentric
i work for the government so whenever i wear something new or that people have never seen/heard of (which is basically everything), they freak out.

one indian guy only shops at walmart and those sorts of stores, so whenever he comes into my cubicle he starts pointing at everything i have on and says "what is this? is this brands?" he points at my Tokidoki for Onitsuka Tiger shoes and says "what is this? is this tennis shoes? that's not a tennis shoe is it? is this brand? how much did you spend on this?" and shakes his head.

when i first wore my Moncler jacket to work a bunch of people were so shocked i was afraid their heads were going to explode. one referred to me as a power ranger. the indian guy went around telling everyone i was wearing a jacket that "cost like 500 dollars." I didnt bother to correct the guy... on another occassion i was wearing a set of nudie black coat jeans, a green-striped longsleeve with button down collar from ralph lauren, a black/grey paul smith cardigan and some white/navy low-top chucks (basically the sort of stuff i wear everyday). a 48+ year old guy walks up to me and starts mouthing off about the moncler jacket. he then proceeds to say "in order to justify buying a jacket like that, you would need to wear expensive clothes all the time." complete noobs...

******* annoying as hell.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
you're lucky, Eccentric i work for the government so whenever i wear something new or that people have never seen/heard of (which is basically everything), they freak out. one indian guy only shops at walmart and those sorts of stores, so whenever he comes into my cubicle he starts pointing at everything i have on and says "what is this? is this brands?" he points at my Tokidoki for Onitsuka Tiger shoes and says "what is this? is this tennis shoes? that's not a tennis shoe is it? is this brand? how much did you spend on this?" and shakes his head. when i first wore my Moncler jacket to work a bunch of people were so shocked i was afraid their heads were going to explode. one referred to me as a power ranger. the indian guy went around telling everyone i was wearing a jacket that "cost like 500 dollars." I didnt bother to correct the guy... on another occassion i was wearing a set of nudie black coat jeans, a green-striped longsleeve with button down collar from ralph lauren, a black/grey paul smith cardigan and some white/navy low-top chucks (basically the sort of stuff i wear everyday). a 48+ year old guy walks up to me and starts mouthing off about the moncler jacket. he then proceeds to say "in order to justify buying a jacket like that, you would need to wear expensive clothes all the time." complete noobs... ******* annoying as hell.
lol8[1].gif
I like that jacket by the way.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
My gf was actually the one who blew my cover. We were out with friends and she casually mentionned that I'm always on some `shoe blog`. No harm, no foul as nobody was really surprised! If anything, people are rather supportive of my so called hobby. In fact, my gf's father always asks me if I bought any new shoes whenever he's over at our place! I guess he `gets it`.
You've got it good.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
I get off easy. Pretty much anyone who knows me expects me to know very detailed and random facts about most things, so a bizzare knowledge of clothing is not too out of the ordinary.
Actually, I've found that to be true for me as well. People know me as a kind of "know it all" of weird and strange things. Most of my friends just assumed I learned from the internet or magazines which is pretty much true. However what they don't realize is that there is a collection of us here on the internets who discuss our sartorial "hobby" at length which actually becomes that information that people read on the internets to learn about style so they can then post on the internets about their sartorial "hobby" at length...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't discuss my clothing interest or forums with anyone. I have a few colleagues who are into clothing, but I don't discuss clothing with them, even though they'll bring up the subject every now and then. I really don't like talking about my things.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's been a few pages since I've reminded everyone that they are wimps.

- B

Mr T

Reaction score
When asked I describe our hobby as none of your damn business.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People in my school look at me funny because I am like the only one not dressed in abercrombie. I get asked "are you gay?" all the time because I wear slim/fitted clothing. I am like no I just like to dress well which obviously you dont.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Namedrop Anne Hathaway.

First I LOL'd. Now I'm seriously planning on doing it.

Originally Posted by sq4you
you're lucky, Eccentric
i work for the government so whenever i wear something new or that people have never seen/heard of (which is basically everything), they freak out.

one indian guy only shops at walmart and those sorts of stores, so whenever he comes into my cubicle he starts pointing at everything i have on and says "what is this? is this brands?" he points at my Tokidoki for Onitsuka Tiger shoes and says "what is this? is this tennis shoes? that's not a tennis shoe is it? is this brand? how much did you spend on this?" and shakes his head.

when i first wore my Moncler jacket to work a bunch of people were so shocked i was afraid their heads were going to explode. one referred to me as a power ranger. the indian guy went around telling everyone i was wearing a jacket that "cost like 500 dollars." I didnt bother to correct the guy... on another occassion i was wearing a set of nudie black coat jeans, a green-striped longsleeve with button down collar from ralph lauren, a black/grey paul smith cardigan and some white/navy low-top chucks (basically the sort of stuff i wear everyday). a 48+ year old guy walks up to me and starts mouthing off about the moncler jacket. he then proceeds to say "in order to justify buying a jacket like that, you would need to wear expensive clothes all the time." complete noobs...

******* annoying as hell.

Sounds like the type of people that are annoying and entertaining at the same people. I like those people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads