Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

how would you describe our "hobby"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VKK3450, Dec 17, 2008.

1. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

I try to avoid talking clothes with people in the real world. Its my dirty little secret. With the exception of the gf, people seem to notice that I dress well but dont know that clothing is an actual hobby of mine. For many of us it goes beyond aesthetics to include workmanship, brand history, etc...

But if you did have to tell someone, how would you sum it up without sounding like a wanky pretentious vapid twat?

"I'm into style?" - Blech
    "Sartorialism" - WTF
    "Fashion" - I dont really care about runway collections (and I have a penis).

Foodies might say that they are into gastronomy which while it may come off a little poncy sounds a hell of a lot better than "eating". What are we into?

K

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I call it "mens style." My real problem is when I have to explain to other people how I know SF members that I have met in real life. "Um, I met him on an internet forum about mens clothing." [​IMG]

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I call it "mens style." "Um, I met him on an internet forum about mens clothing." [​IMG]

That's the definition of "the Ghey" [​IMG]

5. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

I call it "mens style." My real problem is when I have to explain to other people how I know SF members that I have met in real life. "Um, I met him on an internet forum about mens clothing." [​IMG]
    Say you met him on an internet forum for bondage enthusiasts. It's less embarrassing.

6. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

If it comes up, I tell people I like clothes/shoes and to know how to dress appropriately for the (an) occasion.

If they think this is pretentious/snobby, that's their issue but, quite frankly, it doesn't really come up that often. My fiancee laughs at me and humors me but I know she thinks it's a little obsessive.

7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The Ghey?

Teh ghey.

But seriously, discussing the style obsession with non-forumites is something I avoid doing.

I find it the equivalent of those people who groom themselves in public.

Looking good should at least look effortless.

Discussing it sorta draws back the curtain on the illusion.

8. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Like I said, I generally try an steer away from such discussions, but recently I have ended up in situations where the question is logical... (dont ask)

K

9. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Like I said, I generally try an steer away from such discussions, but recently I have ended up in situations where the question is logical... (dont ask)

K

Oh but I must, I must.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have only once mentioned to somebody, aside from my wife, this forum. it didn't go well.

if I introduce a person I met on this forum to somebody else (which I think has only happened with Tiger02) I say "oh, he and I go way back" in a tone that doesn't really suggest I am going to eleborate on it.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

How about, "Something went haywire with the eHarmony algorithm, but at least I made a (platonic) friend out of it."

12. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Recently had this come up in a professional situation. You just have to make some shit up. Very weird, but what else can you do?

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I have only once mentioned to somebody, aside from my wife, this forum. it didn't go well.

if I introduce a person I met on this forum to somebody else (which I think has only happened with Tiger02) I say "oh, he and I go way back" in a tone that doesn't really suggest I am going to eleborate on it.

How about, "Something went haywire with the eHarmony algorithm, but at least I made a (platonic) friend out of it."

Recently had this come up in a professional situation. You just have to make some shit up. Very weird, but what else can you do?
    I'm thinking of saying, "We met through a common friend." The common friend being Al Gore, inventor of the interwebz.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

"I met him in a sauna, he had a mustache"

15. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

My gf was actually the one who blew my cover. We were out with friends and she casually mentionned that I'm always on some `shoe blog`. No harm, no foul as nobody was really surprised! If anything, people are rather supportive of my so called hobby. In fact, my gf's father always asks me if I bought any new shoes whenever he's over at our place! I guess he `gets it`.