• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you cast a Thin Man remake?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since Edward Green has informed me the newmarket boots are not stocked in the London store, looking for another distraction.

One of my favorite movies, maybe the movie that shaped my ideas about what suits should look like, how to wear a shirt with a suit (showing 1/2" of cuff), allowed me to tolerate the idea of a dog in the house, etc. I read about a possible remake some time ago, but it never materialized.

So, who would you cast as Nick and Nora?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, that's tough. I'll need to think on this one...

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd cast our own Thinman in the title role,
smile.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a variety of actors who could play nick. As for nora, far tougher.

I would have to guess Charlize Theron:
Charlize.Theron.06.Globes.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
film noir, don't try to disquality yourself, when you are clearly one of the most knowledgeable members on the subject! now, what are your serious answers?

at one time, the nicolas cage came up as a candidate for the role (which never seemed to materialize), but I didn't think he was above and beyond any other actor. liked his character in the beginning of 'family man,' but not sure this makes him a Nick Charles possibility.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
film noir, don't try to disquality yourself, when you are clearly one of the most knowledgeable members on the subject! now, what are your serious answers?

You don't like Triumph? I keed, I keed.

I would keep Drew Barrymore, she's very likable and there is something classic about her look. I might use Denise Richards or Gwneth Paltrow. I would choose Kate Beckinsale but she's English and I would prefer the role to go to an American girl. I might modernize it more by using Beyonce.

For Nick, Maybe Ethan Hawke or DiCaprio? I would use Russel Crowe but then again, he's not a Yank, as they say.

And use Wishbone for Asta?
tounge.gif

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Kevin Spacey, who seems to do everything well.

Renee Russo or someone with overall oomph (in addition to being highly decorative).

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I'd cast our own Thinman in the title role,
smile.gif

You called?????

If I'm starring in the title role, do I get to choose my co-star? (as he drools down the front of his best tie)

etl

Reaction score
how old were Nick and Nora supposed to be in the series? late-30s?

excellent question Foxx. This has been vexxing me since you posted it.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think nick was probably meant to be in his late thirties, nora several years younger- at least, that's my take on it after seeing the series of movies.

kevin spacey is an interesting choice-- he could pull off the dialogue, wit, etc. I think Nora would have to be stunning, and she wore the clothes befitting her social standing/ "pot of money," as nick once referred to her.

As for the clothing for a film like this, one could only hope for Anderson and Sheppard, or the tailor that did the duds for the horrible film The Avengers a few years ago. Ralph Lauren purple label would also be a good choice, i think.

by the way, what got me thinking about this subject is the comments on a film i just bought called The Alibi

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/movies.php?id=3019

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409681/

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
You don't like Triumph? I keed, I keed.

I would keep Drew Barrymore, she's very likable and there is something classic about her look. I might use Denise Richards or Gwneth Paltrow. I would choose Kate Beckinsale but she's English and I would prefer the role to go to an American girl. I might modernize it more by using Beyonce.

For Nick, Maybe Ethan Hawke or DiCaprio? I would use Russel Crowe but then again, he's not a Yank, as they say.

And use Wishbone for Asta?
tounge.gif

Personally, I wouldn't cast Ethan Hawke in anything. I really don't like him.

etl

Reaction score
ok, i'll give it a shot:

Nick: Ed Norton
Nora: Gretchen Mol (though i'd love to see Jennifer Jason Leigh do it)

I'd agree that Kevin Spacey and Drew are enlightened picks. Spacey's probably too old at this point and i'm in the anybody but Josh Hartnett frame of mind.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
iAs for the clothing for a film like this, one could only hope for Anderson and Sheppard, or the tailor that did the duds for the horrible film The Avengers a few years ago. Ralph Lauren purple label would also be a good choice, i think.

As soon as my girlfriend saw I was replying to this post, she said "Don't rain on their parade." But I have to say that I really disliked the "Avengers" costuming, at least for Ralph. His jacket sleeves were absurdly long, the bowler was oversized, and the suits weren't a patch on Macnee's. Some of the fabrics were interesting, but the suits looked like they had been made for someone else.

As for the actual topic at hand, it seems that George Clooney is the default "suave" actor these days. He might be able to pull it off, with the right co-star. But with elegance in such short supply in Hollywood, they could go kooky and pair Alan ******* with Liv Tyler. I saw an episode of his talk show on which she appeared, and they had good chemistry, at least.

Or maybe Vince Vaughn? He can do the lovable lush ...

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOT VINCE VAUGHN!! he is a hollywood douchebag, and could never pull it off-- not to mention the clothes, style, and wit.

hmmm....not sure i have any new ideas, but what about ralph finnes, or the guy who was in the beginning of pulp fiction (with honeybunny, robbing the diner? forget his name, but he is an interesting actor with a variety of roles/ films under his belt. whoever plays the lead, they must be able to pull off the humor, as when following the old butler "walk this way, sir"

i like the idea of charlize theron or katle beckinsale, both have the look (well, when they wear their hair in a brunette color) that myrna loy did-- pretty, slightly turned up nose, cute and they can probably pull off some humor.

re: avengers. yeah, i would have to agree with you a bit on the suits; i suppose it was the idea of them in the movie that caught my interest. i heard they were made by gieves? could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads