• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How worn can a good suit get away with being?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw this on The Sartorialist, I was reminded of the various discussions about thrifting and buying used clothing:
CMc.jpg
CMs.jpg
(The comments on the blog are interesting as well.) I may be biased here, as I love patina in general, and more of it than most, but again, I'll maintain that most clothing look best when it's broken in and has taken on some "personality". Pardon the semi-self-quoting: Why are clothes different than antiques? Or rather, why can't clothing be antiques? Many of the people on this forum may well be termed collectors - those vintage jewels were not bought to save money, but rather bought for the love of nice old objects. "Patina" is one of the nicest words I know - not wear, not dirt, but the feel of an old, well-maintained (or lovingly and restrainedly refurbished)quality object. I like things with a history, and yes, I love the few things I have with interesting provenances. New things are nice, but essentially uninteresting. Typically, a well-fitting, well-kept SR dinner-jacket from the thirties is far more interesting to me than a new RLPL one; anyone can buy a new pair of jeans, but it takes an eye to spot a good vintage pair in a thrift shop. So; would you wear this? I'm certain I would.

wgiceman

Reaction score
Absolutely no chance I would wear this. Sometimes you just have to let old items go.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were my Dad's suit and I didn't have a position that involved meeting with people who would frown upon wearing a suit with holes in it, then yes, I would wear it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
If it were my Dad's suit and I didn't have a position that involved meeting with people who would frown upon wearing a suit with holes in it, then yes, I would wear it.

What he said.

Context is key.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. This doesn't mean that I'd wear just any worn old suit, but I'd gladly rock this one (under the right circumstances of course)

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He could have the sleeves shortened by less than half an inch and that fraying would disappear. And he could have the collar replaced with tan and white seersucker.

smile.gif

I'd wear it, but again, only if it was mine or my father's.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a ranch coat in this condition which i used for lassoing horses, yes I would wear it and love it, while lassoing horses.

But since suits are purportedly for business or formal events and the entire point of them is to present your best, obviously there's a conflict there

basically my rule is, if there is anything worn through, or any hole, you have to stop wearing it.

A few weeks ago I found a great $20 Hickey Freeman suit while thrifting, it had a small hole in the lapel from a cigarette or something, i left it there...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The collar I could live with as it's partially hidden but the frayed sleeves are a bit much. If you're wearing a suit, it's because you are doing something that requires some degree of decorum or professionalism. Unless you are a hobo and cannot afford new clothes, wearing a visibly frayed suit is like wearing a costume that draws attention to you (not unlike some Thom Browne stuff) and disrespects your audience. It's like saying: I can dress however I want so **** you.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: oops I wish I could post the thom browne pic further down in Sartorialist

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
When I saw this on The Sartorialist, I was reminded of the various discussions about thrifting and buying used clothing:

CMc.jpg

CMs.jpg

(The comments on the blog are interesting as well.)

I .

The only person who could get away with this would be 'the old Master' in well to do household. As such get older it is permissible for them to wear a faithful old and comfortable suit about the house in the day during retirement. they would of course have impeccably tailored suits etc to wear were someone of note or rank coming to call or when going out to town or club or indeed local function.

Otherwise the fire is the only place for such a garment.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree that suits are only for business or formal occasions, but I still wouldn`t wear that suit. Well actually I would, but my wife would not let me.
laugh.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear it to a concert and thrash in it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks really good on him. Unless he's wearing it to a boardroom, I see nothing wrong the hobochic look.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
The collar I could live with as it's partially hidden but the frayed sleeves are a bit much. If you're wearing a suit, it's because you are doing something that requires some degree of decorum or professionalism. Unless you are a hobo and cannot afford new clothes, wearing a visibly frayed suit is like wearing a costume that draws attention to you (not unlike some Thom Browne stuff) and disrespects your audience. It's like saying: I can dress however I want so **** you.
All right, I can see the conservative business dress angle - dressing correctly will be more important than style - but would you then wear it on purely social occasions? I think this one looks perfect for say, a garden party. A couple of my worst shirts:
DSC00470.jpg
BBOCBD.jpg
My dad's old shoes:
erthejyk.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads