• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How widely spaced should the front ends of braces be?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had buttons for braces placed on suit pants and I was wondering if the front ends are too far apart. They're roughly an inch outward from the center of my thighs. I have broad shoulders and chest, and the braces slant diagonally across my torso, and it's very obvious even when I'm not wearing a striped shirt. The straps are practically running down the side of my torso, not across the front of it.

How do you tell if they're too widely spaced?

mussel

Reaction score
A picture will be most helpful in assessing your situation.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do the braces stay on, or do they fall off of your shoulders?

Did you sew them on yourself? What did the tailor think?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Did you sew them on yourself? What did the tailor think?

laugh.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
I hate to be a purist--really I do!--but I just think braces never look quite right on pants that weren't cut for them. If the pants were cut for a belt I'd stick with that. If the braces form any sort of connection at all with your thighs the pants are probably sitting way too low to work well with braces.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The inner buttons should be above the pants-crease and in line with it. That usually means that the outer button is about at your hip bone or a bit wider.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with pesjek. If the rise is too low on the trousers, they won't look right with braces. From the sound of it, they're not working for you. And one inch from the center of the thighs is much too far apart.

Perhaps you can go to the Ralph Lauren store and buy a pair of trousers with brace buttons to compare the rise and button placement to yours and then return them. I am sure they won't mind.
devil.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
How do you tell if they're too widely spaced?

Didnt you just answer your own question?

"the braces slant diagonally across my torso, and it's very obvious even when I'm not wearing a striped shirt. The straps are practically running down the side of my torso, not across the front of it."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I agree with pesjek. If the rise is too low on the trousers, they won't look right with braces. From the sound of it, they're not working for you. And one inch from the center of the thighs is much too far apart.

Perhaps you can go to the Ralph Lauren store and buy a pair of trousers with brace buttons to compare the rise and button placement to yours and then return them. I am sure they won't mind.
devil.gif

Todd would.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads