• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How wide do you like your leg opening on dress trousers?

How wide?

• 7”

Votes: 137 19.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 205 28.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 199 27.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 44 6.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 19 2.6%
  • 10”

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • 10.5”

Votes: 17 2.4%

• Total voters

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I’ll volunteer myself for the 2 minute hate. These have a 7.5” leg opening and a decent drape IMO. This is not my normal opening preference anymore, but I use to like it. Roast me.

View attachment 1547927 View attachment 1547926

This is a great silhouette. It looks comfortable but well tapered. Lately my trousers are range between 16 1/2 and 17" leg opening. Maybe 16" for more casual fabrics like cottons. I have an actual 37" waist and US10 shoes.

Of course, this is all totally subjective right on someone's height, build and aesthetic choices? Personally I run away from wide legs, which for me is like 10 1/2" They remind me of the fashion of jeans when I was in high school and sad looking frumpy business men on 34th street.

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this, especially the last one, is great.

That's how I aim to have my trousers fit with a jacket. The actual leg opening in inches will vary depending on the person - but it should look like that.

@Nobilis Animus

Michelangelo’s Golden Rule of “Thirds”

Trousers should cover 2/3 of the shoes

Alan Bee

3E1D4126-30DF-47CC-8A31-118F430E0204.jpeg
0F005DB6-DA2A-4129-8511-B7EF8FEDBC2A.jpeg

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what's bigger 2/3 or 3/5, guess AAS would know

trouser%2Blength.jpg

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Anything from 7 to 8 inches is about right. Anything more than that just makes you look like you're trying to relive the 1970's.

Such a prescriptive mindset isn’t particularly useful, nor does it account for different body shapes and sizes. Personally I wear my dress trousers at 8” because it works for me. On a more heavyset person this width may make his legs look like carrots, and on a thinner man his trousers may billow like sails in a storm. There’s no right answer here, only a range of options.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the golden rule of thirds was treat every third person how you want to be treated. :teach:

You're a more generous man than I. Guess you take it off the trouser hems. :wink:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is apparently also a topic of hot debate in autoracing.

Edit: StyFo is auto-embedding the tweet, which is not helpful here. Reading the entire thread is kinda interesting - there is an proto-Alan Bee contingent within Nascar, apparently

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me have the 10 inch leg opening on most trouser.
Last week me say to tailor to make the 11 or 12 inch leg opening,
he say NO you only get the 9.5 leg and no more. :fu:
Me like the wide leg.
Me think the narrow leg look silly.

Vaichyon

Reaction score
My main concern is that smaller leg openings restrict the inseam and shorten my leg. I am 5'7", 145 lbs, with a long torso and short legs (29" jacket length, 27" inseam). Shoe size 7 UK.

I tend to go for 8" as it allows me to squeeze out an extra 0.5" of inseam with a slight break. Anything below 7.5" clings onto my OTC socks. Anything above 8.5" begins to look disproportionate to my stature and slimmer torso.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing I like about the wider cuts as demonstrated by @Alan Bee @khughes44 etc is, due to the fact our insteps slope, a wider opening permits the pant to cover more of the shoe but with little to no break.

It seems so much of the iGentry love no break but have to shorten the pant due to a somewhat narrow opening thus revealing much more shoe as well as sock if they, you know, choose to actually walk. Lengthening the pant but with a narrow opening means it bumps up against the instep too soon, causing the dreaded cell phone kiosk salesman pant puddling.

6’2’ 46L. 9.5-10” opening.

Calanon

Reaction score
I've been wearing trousers with an 8" opening, but my calves have a 19" circumference so they don't lift up properly when I sit so I am considering trying out an 8.5" opening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads