• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How wide do you like your leg opening on dress trousers?

How wide?

• 7”

Votes: 137 19.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 205 28.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 199 27.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 89 12.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 19 2.6%
  • 10”

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • 10.5”

Votes: 17 2.4%

• Total voters

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't have a definitive answer to this question but I like the opening to be enough to lay nicely on the top of the shoe with a slight break and a nice downward angle to the shoe heal. Hitting the top of the shoe looks right and elegant.
It has to look balanced with the knee circumference and have a good line/shape from top to hem. Nothing severe. The actual circumference changes with each client's proportions but within a narrow range.
Would rather have a comprehensible concept/point of view than a number.

Last edited:

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I remember around 2005 seeing kids skateboarding on the lower east side in Manhattan wearing skinny jeans

I was like, WTF is this, it looks ridiculous, then a couple of years later it was everywhere

after 15 yrs of skinny pants, wide legs look so fresh and luxurious

Miles R.

Reaction score
The fad of skinny-leg trousers is incomprehensible to me. Every year I say, "This can't last another year," and every year I am proved wrong. I am stuck with some such trousers because that is all that is available these days. If you are wearing them over knee-high socks, then when you rise from a seated position, the trouser legs cling to your calves and refuse to settle down to your shoes. I have to wear ankle socks just so that my trouser bottoms don't get stuck four inches above my shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fad of skinny-leg trousers is incomprehensible to me. Every year I say, "This can't last another year," and every year I am proved wrong. I am stuck with some such trousers because that is all that is available these days. If you are wearing them over knee-high socks, then when you rise from a seated position, the trouser legs cling to your calves and refuse to settle down to your shoes. I have to wear ankle socks just so that my trouser bottoms don't get stuck four inches above my shoes.

You can still find very traditional cuts for a more classic tailored look at shops such as O'Connell's or J. Press.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knee high socks are ******* bullshit. They are like turtlenecks for your legs.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
r u burnin one w/ Will right now?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
r u burnin one w/ Will right now?

we're doing a duet karaoke on cypress hill's "hits from the bong"

Will also wants to sing Cypress Hill's "How I Could Just Kill a Man," but change the word "man" to "fit."

I said no.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many turtlenecks

1C61E365-2619-4624-83B5-9F16B3610514.jpeg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short guys with skinny legs are going to have a bounty of tailored suits choose from when the short coat / very slim ankle / high water tailoring goes out of style.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the waist size, inseam, or shoe size?

This poll is stupid, since it has no reference to any other dimensions.

I’m 6’4” tall, with muscle on my legs, and wear size 13-14 shoes. Do you think any of that makes a difference?

BomTrady

Reaction score
It definitely makes a difference. However, all data, even data resulting from uncontrolled statistics, can be used in some sort of way. In any event, a 6 foot plus person is likely outside the confidence interval. This survey was probably intended as a fun exercise to prompt a light-hearted discussion. It would hardly result in scientifically reliable information.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads