• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How wide do you like your leg opening on dress trousers?

How wide?

• 7”

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 149 32.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 135 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 10”

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 10.5”

• Total voters

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't have a definitive answer to this question but I like the opening to be enough to lay nicely on the top of the shoe with a slight break and a nice downward angle to the shoe heal. Hitting the top of the shoe looks right and elegant.
It has to look balanced with the knee circumference and have a good line/shape from top to hem. Nothing severe. The actual circumference changes with each client's proportions but within a narrow range.
Would rather have a comprehensible concept/point of view than a number.

Last edited:

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I remember around 2005 seeing kids skateboarding on the lower east side in Manhattan wearing skinny jeans

I was like, WTF is this, it looks ridiculous, then a couple of years later it was everywhere

after 15 yrs of skinny pants, wide legs look so fresh and luxurious

Miles R.

Reaction score
The fad of skinny-leg trousers is incomprehensible to me. Every year I say, "This can't last another year," and every year I am proved wrong. I am stuck with some such trousers because that is all that is available these days. If you are wearing them over knee-high socks, then when you rise from a seated position, the trouser legs cling to your calves and refuse to settle down to your shoes. I have to wear ankle socks just so that my trouser bottoms don't get stuck four inches above my shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fad of skinny-leg trousers is incomprehensible to me. Every year I say, "This can't last another year," and every year I am proved wrong. I am stuck with some such trousers because that is all that is available these days. If you are wearing them over knee-high socks, then when you rise from a seated position, the trouser legs cling to your calves and refuse to settle down to your shoes. I have to wear ankle socks just so that my trouser bottoms don't get stuck four inches above my shoes.
You can still find very traditional cuts for a more classic tailored look at shops such as O'Connell's or J. Press.

circumspice

Reaction score
Knee high socks are fucking bullshit. They are like turtlenecks for your legs.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sleeves are also just turtlenecks for your arms

Last edited:

Bromley

Reaction score
r u burnin one w/ Will right now?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
r u burnin one w/ Will right now?
we're doing a duet karaoke on cypress hill's "hits from the bong"

Will also wants to sing Cypress Hill's "How I Could Just Kill a Man," but change the word "man" to "fit."

I said no.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short guys with skinny legs are going to have a bounty of tailored suits choose from when the short coat / very slim ankle / high water tailoring goes out of style.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 149 32.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 135 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • 9.5”