• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How wide are your trousers?

Vizard

Reaction score
If we are going to start expressing the leg width of trousers in diameters, we need to do it properly.

A 7.5" finish trouser in fact has a 4.77465" diameter, or a 2.387325" radius.

Can we move on now? Perhaps to shirt sizes measured in Watts or shoe widths expressed in percentage of a Furlong.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Speaking of wide trousers, there's some good Ralph Lauren trousers on sale now in a bright blue colour and Nantucket Red, I bought some for myself because my thighs are too swole for everyone's trousers. Got it in a very long length so I can have a nice 2-3 inch turnup. 8.5 inch hem width for 32waist trousers, wonder how wide the hem is on the 36 waist.

https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/wh...no-trouser-3616536943314.html?ztxn=7003493555 - blue

https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/wh...no-trouser-3616536943314.html?ztxn=7003493555 - red

Can we ask why does the model has a negative break.
sweet mother of god.JPG

swagalicious.JPG

pwc008

Reaction score
The Whitman is awesome. I have 2. Highly recommended.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Hi, all. Math teacher checking in. :teach: The circumference of a circle is the length around the circle. A circle can be deformed without breaking in many ways including a line segment. The length of the line segment created will be half of the circumference. The length of the line segment will not be equivalent to the radius OR diameter of the original circle. When talking about pant leg opening, most people refer to the half circumference.

In the example above, a 15 inch circumference, will create a line segment of 7.5 inches. This is half of the circumference. The radius of the circle will be 15/(2pi) or 7.5/pi. The radius is not 7.5.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
For completeness, though, it should be added that the half circumference as measured is an approximation since we are flattening real materials that have an actual depth, and in truth one should consider the inner circumference of the trouser else the measure will vary between different trouser materials...😆

Although to be fair, some japanese makers of very sturdy jeans actually DO seriously take mesures "in the round" for very thick jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads