• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How well do steamers work?

samssf

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing this steamer due to positive comments on this site:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...estyleforum-20

I'm hoping to get feedback from someone here that owns this one (or similar modem) on the following questions:

- Will it remove all wrinkles from a plain casual dress shirt? I know that it won't have the same pressed, crisp look as ironing, but am hoping it'll take all wrinkles out of shirts.

- Does it work on denim, khakis, etc?

I'm lazy and hate ironing, so I skip it often, and am hoping this will take care of most wrinkles and make things look a bit nicer.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just got one last week. I don't like ironing either bu I still iron all my shirts. I tried it out on a 100% cotton shirt which I'd been wearing all day and had the usual tuck wrinkles around the waist and the came right out.

I think I'll use it most to get the wrinkles out of the back of suit jackets that you get from sitting and driving. I tried it on a few suits and blazers and once it heats up the wrinkles fall right out. Also on the front of your strides where you get that washboard effect it works well too. Got mine for $60 and will be well worth it I reckon.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased mine for about $60 from Bed Bath & Beyond - I forget the brand, but it's a real name brand not like a weird Bed Bath & Beyond brand. Anyway, it works well to get out wrinkles but is sort of a hassle. I use it for suits only because I get my shirts laundered. I clean my pants every couple years.
biggrin.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
steaming wool will cause it to lose its shape ... not a big deal for trousers but heavy and regular steam will alter the fit of a wool suit jacket quite a bit ... various parts are pressed into shape to get the desired effect .. search for jeffery d's posts on this subject ... maybe linked from the iron and pressing board Appreciation thread

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a combo Iron/Steam Generator from Rowenta or Delonghi for ~100-120. The best. Love mine

samssf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Get a combo Iron/Steam Generator from Rowenta or Delonghi for ~100-120. The best. Love mine

Do you use these while the garment hangs, or do you still need to use a board? I'm assuming you need the board, whereas with the jiffy esteam I'm hoping I can simply hang my casual shirts (I don't have a suit) and use it that way.

The combo units do look nice, though.

samssf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
steaming wool will cause it to lose its shape ... not a big deal for trousers but heavy and regular steam will alter the fit of a wool suit jacket quite a bit ... various parts are pressed into shape to get the desired effect .. search for jeffery d's posts on this subject ... maybe linked from the iron and pressing board Appreciation thread

Can you post the link to the pressing board Appreciation thread? I tried searching but couldn't find it.

Coors Light

Reaction score
Originally Posted by samssf
Can you post the link to the pressing board Appreciation thread? I tried searching but couldn't find it.

x2.

I searched multiple queries but could not find it.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samssf
Do you use these while the garment hangs, or do you still need to use a board? I'm assuming you need the board, whereas with the jiffy esteam I'm hoping I can simply hang my casual shirts (I don't have a suit) and use it that way.

The combo units do look nice, though.

You can do both. Typically I use an ironing board and use the steam option to cut down like 50% on my ironing time.

But if you have a delicate garment like a suit or tie, you can hang them, and there is a button (at least on the Delonghi that I own) that will keep the steam generation always on. Instantly it becomes a steamer.

They are really great units for the price. I suggest you look into the Delonghi or the Rowenta

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've read those too. So, should one never use a steamer at all? Maybe for my girlfriend's silk dresses.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kent, maybe you should ask jefferyd ... i am no expert, just a guy with a memory

i vaguely remember some disagreement about the extent to which very heavy tweeds etc. need to be spared from steam.

steam is good for cotton shirts of course ... i hang them in bathroom during shower before ironing

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke trousers are often ironworked too; though it's not as extensive as with a coat it would still affect the fit if this was removed as a result of the application of steam.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
steam is good for cotton shirts of course ... i hang them in bathroom during shower before ironing
Why? I hang dry and iron while damp. I assume that would achieve the same effect?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads