• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Well Can You Control Your Urge...

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to buy things?
eh.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
depends how much money is in my bank account
This. I'm pretty good when my bank account has little more than is needed to make the rent... and not just for clothes... in this situation I'm pretty good about limiting eating out / groceries and all other spending as well. otherwise... I'm not so great....

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
depends how much money is in my bank account

+1

Also depends on what it is. I have a few items that would be definite purchases if I came across them but otherwise, I can generally let things slide.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much money is in my paypal account. Thankfully, I sell other stuff each month and don't dip into my paycheck. The trick is transferring $ from paypal to my checking before I spend it.

Also, depends on what it is. I've gotten pretty good about saving up for grail items.

phaseshift

Reaction score
depends if i really want something I'll buy it but if on the way to the store something happens ...like say the first store i go to doesn't have my size, then I take that as a sign that, that day is not the day to buy something LOL

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Depends on how much money is in my paypal account. Thankfully, I sell other stuff each month and don't dip into my paycheck. The trick is transferring $ from paypal to my checking before I spend it.

This

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Well, I just resisted the urge to pull the trigger on a pair of Tricker's at Sierra Trading Post, so...maybe better than I thought? They look fantastic, but I can't really justify them and they wouldn't fill a hole in my wardrobe.

The problem is the smaller, dumber purchases, which are easier to justify, harder to resist, but generally aren't as satisfying overall as picking up a grail-level item, even if the latter is at a hard-to-swallow price point.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
The problem is the smaller, dumber purchases, which are easier to justify, harder to resist, but generally aren't as satisfying overall as picking up a grail-level item, even if the latter is at a hard-to-swallow price point.

fkn this

a while back i added up all the money i'd spent on stupid cheap things i'd only worn once, and i probably could have bought some baller **** had i saved the money instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads