• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How we remember Shoa and other atrocities

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i have that. usually means page has not fully loaded, or loaded properly. refresh, and wait for page to load 100%. should fix it, A-OK.
also, to be clear - no amount of power, forum or otherwise, would lead me to eat bacon, douglas.

testing, one, two, three. no go stitchy. did you see the male tatto thread? (no :roma: available) I posted an article about holocaust survivors' grandkids who are getting tattoed w/ their grandparents cc#s...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

testing, one, two, three. no go stitchy. did you see the male tatto thread? (no :roma: available) I posted an article about holocaust survivors' grandkids who are getting tattoed w/ their grandparents cc#s...

then i do not know. sorry. :( someone posted the same issue in MC today as well. maybe software, idrk.

i have not seen the tattoo thread. please to link for me. would be interesting to see.

there is a MC WAYWRN poster who has a neck tattoo. i find that interesting. he should read this thread you speak of. :)

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't the one who deleted the tattoo thread, but I did see it before the deletion. The OP in that thread was spam, and it had a bunch of links embedded in the post. If I had to guess, I'd say that's probably why it vanished.

FWIW, I also read the article you posted, and it was very interesting. It's a shame the post was made in a thread that (apparently) was spaminated.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is actually a meaningful tattoo..

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thread is gone! this was the article that made it disappear (and my icon list) - very thought provoking
maybe i'll get an answer on the disappearance now:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/w...aust-scars-of-relatives.html?ref=tattoos&_r=0

i dont want to reply here, and have a another chinese food like explosion in transmod, but its a very interesting topic. im hesitant to even talk about that stuff in a public setting, you never know what it may incite. but if you do restart the thread, lmk, or we can have a PM convo if you like.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was a discussion about that article (and also a related film, I think) at lunch over the recent Sukkot holiday. Few had read the article, though more had a opinions. The opinions were all negative, though more out poignancy than real criticism.

imo, the most important opinion, is that of actual holocaust survivors. it is their feelings and emotions that matter most in this instance to me. what anyone else may say or feel on the topic, i think, is ancillary.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imo, the most important opinion, is that of actual holocaust survivors. it is their feelings and emotions that matter most in this instance to me. what anyone else may say or feel on the topic, i think, is ancillary.

The survivors went through such horrific experiences I do understand they have a different view/angle to shoah issues than we have...

I'm a big fan of the History channels and my eyes are always watery when I see a documentary about the final solution ...

Watching in black and white pictures women carrying infants to the chambers just never fail to make weep..

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The ones whose numbers being used are dead so their opinions are likely unknown.
Why one survivor's opinion about a subject determines how someone should memorialize a different survivor with whom that person has a personal relationship and who may have had a different opinion doesn't seem that relevant to me.

Obviously, if I were a grandkid, I wouldn't want my memorial to my grandmother to piss off my neighbor, but neither would I think it fair for some lady I don't know to tell me how to relate to my own relatives.

Each survivor is a person and each one, now living or dead, had his or her own opinions. They aren't a monolithic group that sets "survivor policy" nor could they be.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The ones whose numbers being used are dead so their opinions are likely unknown.
Why one survivor's opinion about a subject determines how someone should memorialize a different survivor with whom that person has a personal relationship and who may have had a different opinion doesn't seem that relevant to me.
Obviously, if I were a grandkid, I wouldn't want my memorial to my grandmother to piss off my neighbor, but neither would I think it fair for some lady I don't know to tell me how to relate to my own relatives.
Each survivor is a person and each one, now living or dead, had his or her own opinions. They aren't a monolithic group that sets "survivor policy" nor could they be.

It is a very personal and sensitive issue..

Some survivors might have maybe been proud of that symbolic act of remembrance but I'm sure others will be horrified and saddened by such tattoos..

Collective memory is always a dangerous exercise ...

I call it the graveyard of personal feelings because so much hurt is always difficult to express collectivily or individually..

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lasbar, i am "glad" you take the memory of the holocaust with the seriousness and emotion it deserves.

you make a solid point. i was unclear in my post. certainly i would not expect every survivor to have the same opinion, nor would i expect one survivor to have the right to tell someone else how to memorialize another relative survivor who may or may not share the same feelings as they do.

i just meant that for me personally, the opinion of the survivor that the tatto pertains to, that persons opinion (or their relatives opinion) is far greater than what someone else has to say on the matter. and we can all state our opinions, but any opinion that does not practically relate to an actual survivor, is kind of moot to me. pages and pages can be written, but in the end, all that matters is the feelings of each person that is being memorialized, and how their relatives chose to process that and hold onto their memories.

as to the fact that a tatto is a torah prohibition, and discussion about weather or not transgressing such a prohibition with the intent to memorialize someone who was jewish, and who may or may not be put off by being memorialized in way that they discourage, well, thats an entirely different discussion, and also none of my business. to each their own.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every genocide is a tragedy and we need to continue to remind younger generations of them because they're still happening today...

Every survivor dying is a piece of history disappearing with them and too many people are too keen to wait long enough to be allowed to rewrite it...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Every genocide is a tragedy and we need to continue to remind younger generations of them because they're still happening today...
Every survivor dying is a piece of history disappearing with them and too many people are too keen to wait long enough to be allowed to rewrite it...

this is what struck me - w/in my lifetime this is going form 'lived' memory to 'historical' memory. it is just unbelievable how the passage of time can erase so monumental an evil. for kids in israel think of the holocaust as another story or chapter in the history of their people ("like the Exodus from Egypt"!) just blows my mind....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics