• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How was your internship experience?

tlaxa

Reaction score
So it seems I'll be doing an internship for a few weeks at a small firm (with a faint hope that I will get a permanent job afterwards...a very faint hope). So I'm wondering, what were your own internship experiences like? Did you guys do well and get a job, or learn some painful lessons from it?

lifersfc

Reaction score
I learned that work is a *****. It made me appreciate my last year of school (and freedom).

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first few months are awesome. Working all day, free time at night and on weekends, no studying or homework.

After a few months it starts to sink in and work starts to suck. And its not coz the job is bad, just the daily grind of things. My supervisor was awesome and the job was great, but after awhile, it just gets too routine.

Then you'll start longing to go back to school.

tlaxa

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm missing my school days already!

I'll be lucky to get a month - I figure if I don't impress my boss within a fortnight, I'll have to polish my resume for the next round of job searching...

mmhollis

Reaction score
Here's the thing bro. I'll be honest most interns are lazy, or don't go out of their way to go the extra mile. If you do that you'll probably impress associates and partners alike and get what you want.

tlaxa

Reaction score
Hard work I can do - but I'm looking to get a step further, and try to give the consultants enough support that when my 3 weeks internship is up, they'll consider hiring me permanently.

It's a challenge - I'm competing against other job applicants with more experience than me, and my own experience amounts to zero - but it's worth a shot.

Any thoughts or advice? I'm pretty much working on enthusiasm alone, while trying to learn as I go.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My internship was fine until the boss tried to stick a cigar up my......

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did an internship out of undergrad that resulted in a job I stayed at for 5 years.

I came to hate my job... Wonder if that means I had a successful internship or not...

K

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My internship helped me to realize what I wanted in a career more than anything and also helped me to get my current job, even though it wasn't really a "full-time" internship so to speak (only a few nights a week and weekends). It was definitely worth it for me, if you go the extra mile to impress your employer it pays off.

JB

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My internship sucked. I would definitely do some research into the company that you are interning (are they a company you want to work at?) with and ask some people about their experiences when they were doing their internship.

A good internship can really propel your career. A crappy internship can set you back IMO.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine was great. I worked hard, did publish-worthy research, invented a design that got me patent #1, and consequently, my job. Liked it so much I stayed on during my final semester, and actually had fun because I had some money. Sweet all around.

~ Huntsman

tlaxa

Reaction score
What sort of stuff did you guys do to get noticed? Like did you take your own initiative and do more than what the supervisor says? (ie. they tell you to call a clients to confirm payment, but you do that and then discuss the possibility of further work with the clients)

I've been cautiously doing that a bit, trying to do the work independently without being told each step - but at the same time, I don't want to go too far and end up making a costly mistake for the firm.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What sort of stuff did you guys do to get noticed? Like did you take your own initiative and do more than what the supervisor says? (ie. they tell you to call a clients to confirm payment, but you do that and then discuss the possibility of further work with the clients)
Usually it's generally just going over and above the call of duty, so to speak. I only worked 2 nights a week and Saturdays at my internship, but I could be found at the airport literally every day for at least an hour, even if I wasn't scheduled to be there. I also did a lot of unpaid work that helped to contribute to the work of the airline I was on with and that worked out really nice too. My supervisor actually ended up recommending me for my current job, so it paid off.

JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlaxa

Yeah that strikes me as not knowing your place. It's not all that simple really -- you don't want to do more than your supervisor says, you want to to do what he wants exceptionally well. Give him more than he expected without doing more than he asked. The contradictory part is that yes, you do want to do more than he asked of you, you do want to shoe initiative, but you have to take care where you excercise that initiative, as I mentioned above, by doing things that are not appropriate for your level. This will vary from firm to firm and boss to boss and job to job -- the key is that they will be looking for your discernment when you make those calls.

Luck,
Huntsman

madison avenue

Reaction score
what do they look at when you apply for an internship I work for myself and never applied for one. I'm curious justcincase one day life brings me to an internship

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads