• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How vintage are these Edward Green shoes?

talkhot

Reaction score
Today I received the EG shoes I bought earlier on ebay. The shoes surprise me a bit and so I'm curious to get some sf opinion about them. At first they don't have this typical EG 'frame' in the shoe, where they would write the last number end so. In both the shoes there's a 'hand' written text: 788 9 ½ F 69 24350 I guess the 69 should be the last which seems more a bit of a joke . With make me think if they are real anyway, or really vintage? All of the leather is in very good state and got nicely tanned. Also the inside leather seems to be in good state. The soles seems to need to be replaced? the heel is a bit loose. For the rest they fit and walk perfect for me. Also they look great! I hope the pictures will explain more. So are there real and how old could they be? Would it be worth it to send them back to EG for a recraft?

well-kept

Reaction score
Early 80s, is my best estimate. Looks as if the sockliner was replaced at a slightly later date. Good find.

summej2

Reaction score
Those are pretty much the same in all manner of detailing as the EG Malverns I have that Nordstrom used to sell under own brand in the 80s. I'd guess they are 25 years old or so.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if you got the number of the last right. I think "˜69' is a loafer last.

With a production number in the 24k, I would place the shoes into the early-nineties. Contact EG, from that production number, they can tell you exactly when and for whom that shoe was made.

No doubt, the shoes are genuine, although the "˜Topies' and rubber top lift (top layer of the heel) are a later addition by some repair shop.

The Gooch

Reaction score
I found this site searching Edward Green and whatever the vintage, from what I can see those are some nice shoes.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a guide to help with dating EG shoes (from the Japanese magazine LAST):

CCF21102007_00001.jpg

Here are some "˜historical' lasts (from a late 80s catalogue):

EGlasts.jpg

EGlasts2.jpg

talkhot

Reaction score
Here are same more photos of the shoes as a whole. These are from the shots I took before. For more/better photos I need to make more, but maybe these are good enough. The shoes are not really slim although not extremely bulky either. They got a UK F width. Do you think the soles need to be replaced? On both shoes the soles cracks (a bit) where the heel ends (see picture below), if you bend the sole the cracks appears more.

hikari013

Reaction score
bengal-stripe;3789300 said:
Here is a guide to help with dating EG shoes (from the Japanese magazine LAST):
CCF21102007_00001.jpg
Here's a quick translation of the picture captions. Hope it helps make sense of the pictures. 1. Sockliner Until the 1980s the stamp on the insole said "made by ..." so if it has that, its definitely an older shoe. <--- So it would seem that your shoe is from before the 80s! From the 80s through the first half of the 90s, the 'made by' text was removed and the brand name is written in capital letters. Through the mid 90s this signature logo was used. Until 2004, the square type logo that was used through the first half of the 90s returned. From 2004, the logo in the bottom image has been used. 2. Outsole Through the mid-80s there was a really small embossed logo with capital letters. Then, through the beginning of the 90s, the size of the lettering was increased. From the early 90s to today, the style was changed to script lettering. 3. Lining window (Is this what it's called?) Until the mid-90s, there was no window (cut-out) and the text was directly on the lining. After the mid-90s, there has been a cutout in the lining with the text inside.

well-kept

Reaction score
Hikari,
That is so very kind of you. Thanks for the translation.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Now that makes much more sense

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads