• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How versatile is this suit? (Glen Plaid inside)

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
On a scale of 1 to 10, how versatile is this suit? Brutal honesty is always appreciated.

I currently have three suits:
  • 3 button navy solid
  • 3 button charcoal solid
  • 2 button slim brown linen (summer only, weddings, casual fridays)

I work in banking and would use this suit for business (not interviews) as well as social functions.

Also, would you recommend using the top as a blazer, given the horn buttons and plaid pattern?

PaulStuart027.jpg

PaulStuart015.jpg

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems pretty low on the versatility scale to me.
(FWIW, I really don't like the color combination of the pattern.)

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
It seems pretty low on the versatility scale to me. (FWIW, I really don't like the color combination of the pattern.)
+1 on the versatility comment.

I have a great prince of wales-ish suit that I didn't use too often. I always look at it in the closet and think about rock it, but end choosing another suit.

About the jacket as sportcoat, it works. Also the pants with a sweater.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That red window pane coupled with the very busy glen plaid makes it less versatile.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I think the more subtle the plaid, the more versatile the suit will be.
A very prominent pattern makes this suit stand out more, as well as its light color.

I'd rate it 2/10 on the versatility scale. The suit looks nice though

emptym

Reaction score
I think it's pretty versatile. I have one w/ a light blue check and use the jacket as a sport coat and the pants w/ a navy blazer at times.

Reaction score
I always find the more busy the pattern the easier it is to stick something plain underneath it and make it look deliberate. Whether that makes it banking versatile I don't know but it's a fine looking garment none the less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads