• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How versatile is the Chelsea boot?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely right. Congratulations, they are very very nice boots.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 6 or 7 pairs of Chelsea boots in various colors and wear them with everything. Love them with suits, perfect with jeans. Wear them 9 months out of 12 (...too hot in the summer)

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I've got several pairs of Chelsea Boots. I wear them with suits and jeans. Very versatile boots.

604Coast

Reaction score
Glad to hear they're versatile. Can anyone provide recommendations for products to help protect and preserve the boots? These are my first pair of quality footwear (previously in Kenneth Cole and Aldo).

mrbig

Reaction score
Use Saphir renovateur and medaille d'or products. Medaille d'or is polish, so get that at the very least; you can substitute Renovateur with Lexol.

604Coast

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Where are you guys sourcing Saphir products in North America?

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not to rain on the parade but in my opinion these particular boots (that you showed in the pic) are too casual for a suit. While you see many individuals in the States wearing chelsea boots with their suits, truly finding a chelsea boot that actually compliments a suit is difficult at best, and it must have a leather sole or the sleekest rubber sole imaginable. Granted, most of the States have a pretty lax business environment but just be aware that some places may frown upon it.

I would not wear these with a suit but I am not going to tell you not to. Just my two cents.

They can definitely compliment almost any other outfit though.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the C&J Chelsea too. I love them! I would not wear them with a suit, however. In my opinion, they are best suited for wearing with jeans, corduroy, moleskin, twill, or other casual trousers. Here's me wearing mine (with a really weird look on my face):
2011-01-05a.jpg
2011-01-05b.jpg
2011-01-05c.jpg

Alex C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I can't get over the visible elastic. They feel like they're in formality no-mans-land to me.

Ditto. I've passed on a number of pairs of them because the elastic has always been a sticking point for me.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex C
Ditto. I've passed on a number of pairs of them because the elastic has always been a sticking point for me.

Doesn't the elastic wear out over time? Is it easily replaceable if it does?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Doesn't the elastic wear out over time? Is it easily replaceable if it does?

A VERY long time. B Nelson can do it though.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why those particular CJ boots won't work for a suit, either in the states or the UK, but that's just me.

ktrp

Reaction score
I wear chelsea boots with dress trousers and I've worn with a suit. I consider it sub-optimal, but a pretty good alternative in bad weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics