• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to you prepare new shoes + nyc shoe repair?

Trackmane

Reaction score
Hi SF members,

First, I'm new to the forum and happy to have found a proper work distraction, so thank you all!

I stumbled onto SF while searching for opinins/sizing on Loakes (they aren't Church's, that I know.) I've recently completed my order with HerringShoes and the Loake Kew has already been despatched!

I've read several posts about proper shoe repair/maintenance but was wondering what you do to new calfskin shoes when they are fresh out of the box? Do you apply waterproofing spray, condition, and/or shine before they hit the pavement? Get toe taps put on?

Also, any shoe repair shops recommendations in NYC would be appreciated? I've been going to Cesar's Shoe Repair in Chelsea http://cesarsshoerepair.com/Home_Page.php which I think is a quality cobbler, but am open to suggestions? I live in Chelsea and work near Wall Street.

Thanks

Harrydog

Reaction score
I do not spray with a water proofing spray...definitely not.

I treat with a leather conditioner..like Lexol or Crema Alpina.

Then polish with paste wax.

Don't wear the new soles on wet pavement the first few times out. the soles need to get scuffed up a bit and that will help them deal with the wet.

TheDryCleaner

Reaction score
I was never satisfied with any shoe repair service in NYC so I hired a wonderful craftsman and now take care of shoes out of Jeeves of Belgravia, 39 East 65th Street, between Madison and Park, 212-570-9130.

Gerald Von Pozniak
Managing Director
Jeeves of Belgravia

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. You may or may not like sole guards.
If you do, the best time to have them applied is when the shoes are new.
2. Same applies for toe taps (with or without the sole guards).
3. Waterproof with "Meltonain Water and Stain protector".
4. Polish with cream or wax. Wax will give a brighter shine while cream will penetrate deeper into the grain and will not cake up over time.
5. ALWAYS use a shoe horn and cedar trees.
6. Use overshoes in inclimate weather.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my regimen for new shoes:

suede: waterproof spray (don't really care what brand, I buy the $5/can ones from Footlocker) and heel plastic taps (I apply and nail myself)

Calfskin: polish with shoe cream, then shine just the toebox with wax, then apply and nail heel tap myself.

shell cordovan:
polish with Alden #8 wax only. I don't have and don't plan on having black shells so that's not a problem. I use #8 wax for all colors of cordovan (brown/mahogony and #8), then apply heel taps myself.

As far as shoe repair, I've actually not have to do any yet. But when times come, I'll use Alden resoling for my Aldens/Brooks Brothers, AE resoling for AE's, and B. Nelson in NYC for everything else.

Groover

Reaction score
Here's my process with new shoes:

Buy them
Take them out of the box
Wear them

Polish regularly.
Always use a shoe horn
Always use shoe trees

Never had a problem with any shoes for over 20 years using that method.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads