• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to write short, succinct emails?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to be very precise in my writing, but rather long-winded. And frankly I recognizing its 2011 and no one reads anymore (yes, I know they read, but in business settings most people don't want to read). Being to the point is especially useful when writing cover letter emails, as well as in everyday correspondence.

Any advice as to how I can compress my emails but still get my point across?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try using less words.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Um, yes... but other than the obvious
laugh.gif
any other tips?

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Try reading the message with their eyes after you're done writing it. If there's any information that they don't care about, or information that isn't actionable, maybe that can be truncated or removed.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
Try reading the message with their eyes after you're done writing it. If there's any information that they don't care about, or information that isn't actionable, maybe that can be truncated.

+1 Reading over your own words is very important. Even speaking them aloud can help to make sure your point is getting across sufficiently and in a concise manner. If certain areas seem redundant, or unnecessary, you'll be much better able to notice this once you've finished writing, and reading it yourself.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Fewer words.

Thanks for catching that for me.

IDirector

Reaction score
Action points with bullets.

Tell them what to do, in what sequence with priority items at the top.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people read email on their blackberries/iphones now. Ask yourself if your message is short enough to be read on a smart phone. Keep cutting back until the answer is "yes".

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Most people read email on their blackberries/iphones now. Ask yourself if your message is short enough to be read on a smart phone. Keep cutting back until the answer is "yes".

Let me blow Jon's mind with the corollary to what you said: Type your e-mails on your smartphone.

gtg732w

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I'm not going to type emails relating to cover letters on my iPhone.
There are a few tips solely dedicated to effective email communication I picked up in school, and I've added a few I've picked up through client/employer interaction, though the obvious key is that how you should write depends on the message you're trying to send.

As a rule of thumb, separating sentences with a blank line helps to focus the reader on the individual points you're making, and helps to prevent your message from becoming an overwhelming text blob. The key here is that each sentence in the email has to contain a complete point.

A big time saver for all parties is to avoid using pronouns whenever possible. You don't need to restate the basics over and over, but even something as simple as replacing "it" with "the project" helps to keep everyone on the same page and to ensure they understand what you're referring to.

If you're sending an email that has some important points to it, i.e. a plan of attack, action items, etc., bullets are a huge help in getting that across. It simplifies the message into the actual tasks involved and helps to keep clients and employees on track.

Also, someone else posted it, but I'll reiterate because it is key: if there is something in the message that isn't necessary to complete the task (feelings, personal situations, etc.), definitely leave those out. It just isn't professional.

This should also be a basic, but correct grammar and punctuation are also key in emails: no one will take you seriously if you write the way Snoop Dogg speaks.

Finally, it won't necessarily help you write shorter, more to-the-point emails, but be cordial in emails, especially when communicating for the first time with someone. Since it is more difficult to interpret tone via email, there is a greater chance for a lost in translation moment where you upset someone unintentionally... (this happens to engineers a lot)

It takes time, and practice, but hopefully that's a starting point.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Eschew prolixity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads