• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear waistcoats

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
So with my new found interest in suits these days I have been keenly interested in the look of the wearing of a waistcoat with a suit.
Now I don't own a 3 piece (yet. The rlpl sale on gilt featured a magnificent glen plaid 3piece in wool cashmere). But how would I go about purchasing the correct odd waistcoat for my 2-piece suits and how to wear them?

Can we have a discussion on things like:
What color / fabric is aesthetic and/acceptable for a navy or grey suit? Pinstripes and windowpanes? Does the waistcoat need to be solid when wearing these designs?
Does the vest always have to be darker than the suit if odd?

How fit does it need to be? Should it be like a corset, or loose, or are there differing ways depending on style of suit?

I know daytime vests are traditionally more buttons and covers the chest more while formal nighttime ones are to be deeper in the neck opening. Can these be interchangeable?

I know it is traditionally incorrect to wear a belt with a waistcoat but do you sfers do it sometimes to decent effect?

When to wear a single-breasted waistcoat and when to wear a double-breasted one. Do you wear like per like in suit? Can you wear a sb vest with a db suit or vice versa?

Thanks

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The main thing is that there must be a contrast between the suit and the waistcoat, and you can go by the same rules as oddjacket-pant matching.

2. I usually have the fit of the waistcoat follow the lines of the suit, so it tends to lie better under the suit, so they are generally more fitted than a suit, but not lycra tight.

3. Formal vests should never be worn in casual settings, much like casual vests should be worn in formal settings. You don't wear a blazer to a black tie event much like you don't wear a tuxedo to work everyday. There are some vests that bridge this gap but they are still too casual (in my book) to be "formal"

4. In my opinion it is fine to wear a belt or braces with a waistcoat, but an observer shouldn't be able to tell that you have a belt on (due to the waistcoat covering the waistband), thus the belt buckle should be very low profile.

5. DB or SB vests is personal preference, and I believe they can be worn anyway one pleases.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular waistcoat wearer with sportscoats (see WhatYouAreWearing.. ). Other than a 3-piece I haven't worn a waistcoat with a suit, only sportscoats. I'm a fan of traditional doeskin waistcoats, but you might find them a bit too English looking. Braces are fine under a waistcoat, but I've always found belts create to obvious a bulge. Fit should be close but not skin tight (a bit like a good shirt).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have dark blue, dark gray, very very dark gray, dark maroon odd vests. I want to add to that a yellow one. I wear them with solid and striped dark blue and gray suits.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My odd vests include mid-grey (a worsted and a flannel), charcoal, camel, cream and a black/green plaid.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be ok to wear a suit with a similar coloured but very different textured waistcoat?
I am really curios because I want to try a navy "knitted waistcoat" (basically a sleeveless cardigan) with a navy suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like odd vests to be ligher -- a lot lighter, usually -- than the coat. Navy is the one exception, with light gray.

The only tailored odd vest I have is suede. Otherwise, I wear sweater vests.

Tailored vests should be verging on tight, closer fitted than a shirt, if you ask me. Suspenders and high waist trousers only. I will wear sweater vests with a belt, though.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll wear a sleeveless cardigan (charcoal or yellow) under a sportcoat as a kind of knit vest, but never under a suit. I don't have any sweater vests (ie. without buttons)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on where to buy odd waistcoats? My only two are the third pieces in 3 piece suits.

b

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There are specialty vest shops in the UK like Favourbrooke that sell online. Otherwise try Ben Silver.

$800 for a RTW vest is insane, You can do better than that on Savile Row, especially with the low pound.

reason_being

Reaction score
I was going to ask this very same question, awesome. Thanks for the info.
laugh.gif

blank.png

Albern

Reaction score
I'm also starting to get into odd waistcoats and 3 piece suits.

Just as an idea generator how do you feel about ones with lapels? I'm not too familiar with the rules that govern vests with and without lapels; anyone care to enlighten us on this?

I usually see the non-lapel variety which essentially draws my attention to something like this:

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...r-db-vest.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads