Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to Wear Tortoise Shell vs Black Frames -

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dmass1, May 18, 2011.

1. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

There are some threads on tortoise shell frames, but none that compare and contrast tortoise shell vs black.

With summer coming up, I'm considering the pros and cons of both colors. Black seems more safe, classic and simple, while tortoise is probably more stylish and elegant.

How do you all wear tortoise vs. black frames? Should you generally match shades to belt/shoe color or is that not really neccessary?

2. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I think that because darker tortoise shells are often almost black/caramel colored, that they can probably work with a black-dominant or brown-dominant outfit. Black goes with black, I think. So I'd say tortoise is the way to go. It's also evocative of the 60s fashion hey day, and legendary actors like Mcqueen

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i prefer brown in general because it matches my complexion (brown hair, brown eyes)

conversely i have a few asian friends that wear only black sunglasses because it matches their complexion better than brown

4. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

tortoise is definitely more versatile, and some of the darker shades can almost pass for black so I don't really see any point in going for black. your complexion/skin tone and how they pair with the frame color should also be considered; for me black frames don't really compliment my olive complexion so I tend to avoid them. also when considering outfits, I don't wear anything too dark during the warmer months when the sun is out so black frames would clash there as well.

5. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

tortoise is definitely more versatile, and some of the darker shades can almost pass for black so I don't really see any point in going for black. your complexion/skin tone and how they pair with the frame color should also be considered; for me black frames don't really compliment my olive complexion so I tend to avoid them. also when considering outfits, I don't wear anything too dark during the warmer months when the sun is out so black frames would clash there as well.

Good point on the lighter clothing during summer. I often wear heathered black tees with my faded APCs in the summer, but tortoise would probably go better with most of my summer fits.

6. dmash

dmash Senior member

Namor is spot on with this one.

Get eyeglasses/sunglasses to match your complexion, not your outfit. Do you dye your hair to match your outfit? No..........black creates an ugly contrast on some people's face yet they wear it because they think it has to match their jacket or whatever.

7. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Damnit, you guys are right. I guess that's really the reason why I stay away from black sunglasses, cause I'm pretty olive skinned as well. Shooooo

8. racknac

racknac Senior member

Should I get black ones since I'm Asian?

9. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

I'll agree with this contrast theory to some extent, like pale people with blonde hair don't generally loog good in thick black frames, but I think people with generally dark features can pull off either.

10. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

yup asian here. i have 3 black frames and 2 tortoise. 1 of the tortoise is the black and yellow kind. =) tortoise also seems more feminine for me. dunno why. maybe reminds me of jackie o or audrey hepburn. in general though we like metal frames more.