• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear this jacket?

Lyman

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg
My grandfather recently passed away. In many respects, he was the quintessential English gentleman. As the only male in the family who regularly wears suits, I inherited the entirety of his wardrobe.

Most of the garments that I've inherited are bespoke suits, trousers and sports coats tailored between the late 1930s and the 00's, however there are a few garments which seem slightly older and, presumably, were owned by great grandfather. One of them is the jacket which is pictured below.

It fits very nicely and is obviously well-made, however I'm completely unsure as to the context in which I would wear it. It is certainly not a sports coat, and I doubt it would be appropriate as cocktail wear. My initial inclination was that it was a component of a stroller suit?

I'd be glad to hear opinions as to how this jacket should be worn. At any rate I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of such a garment!

palk

Reaction score
Your initial inclination is correct. Wear it with morning kit.

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
Wow, fantastic! Appears to be a stroller suit jacket as you said. No really good suggestions how to wear it in a "modern" way, (perhaps could go slim black jeans/chelsea boots and go for the kinda of rocker style thing if that's your look/depending on how it fits) but honestly, I'd probably recommend holding onto it for sentimental value if you are able rather than wear it, consider yourself lucky that you have been able to inherit something from several generations past. Interesting bit of family history.

Lyman

Reaction score
Thanks for you replies. It seems my initial inclinations were correct.

Unfortunately, I'm anything but a rocker! Whilst I have integrated many of my grandfather's items into my closet without alteration (his measurements were identical), I cannot foresee any clear use for this jacket - morning dress has all but died out in the UK. You never know though, perhaps there will be a fancy wedding in years to come...

palk

Reaction score
perhaps there will be a fancy wedding in years to come...

Surely you would wear a morning coat to a fancy wedding :bigstar:.

It's actually a fairly versatile garment in my opinion as it can be dressed down into business wear and to an extent normal day-wear. For instance, John Cleese's outfit from the "Silly Walk" skit fits right in with modern business attire if you ignore the bowler:

monty-python-ministry-of-silly-walks.jpg

Alternatively, add some color with the shirt and tie, and it's good for a nice brunch or tea.

Lyman

Reaction score
I'm no authority when it comes to morning dress as I've never needed to acquaint myself with its rudiments.

When I received the garment, as a life-long Monty Python fan, John Cleese's Ministry of Silly Walks did come to mind. I'm unsure whether it would work as business wear - many offices seem to be increasingly casual places. You are right, however, that it wouldn't be out of place at tea in a nice hotel.

I'm a little concerned it would look like a costume, however!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's far too old fashioned to wear unless you are an out and out eccentric who wears a monocle.

Burn it.

useless_username

Reaction score
GBR is right. If you can't connect with your inner pyromaniac, perhaps put it up on Ebay or check if some theatre would like to use it as a costume. Other than that, I can't think of any practical use for it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Compromise: wear it to Burning Man. It's very Steampunk Chic.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strollers are cool and look fairly contemporary to most people anyway. A black jacket and striped or patterned pants? At least a quarter of Chicago's business elite have worn that look by accident. Why can't you wear it on purpose?

Lyman

Reaction score
I don't think I'll be giving it away (or burning it). By my reckoning, it was made for my great-grandfather - it dates from the earlier half of the last century. It seems wrong to wantonly dispose of family history. Thanks for noting this vasityreds0123

Caustic Man, you're probably right that I could wear it. Unfortunately, I lack the confidence and - as an educator - I'm not sure whether my place of work would provide an ideal context. The school is fee paying and insists on a very formal dress code (to instil confidence in parents), however I think a stroller would over-interpret things!

I believe teachers at Eton wear a stroller-type suit, so perhaps my next career move should be to seek gainful employment there!

Lyman

Reaction score
One question: If I was to convert this into a stroller suit, what components would I need to acquire?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads