• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear tan shoes?

yessur

Reaction score
A noob i need of assistance
shog[1].gif

I saw a pair of Tan Paul Smith broque shoes on yoox for $250 so jumped on it. They looked pretty dark tan kinda brown on yoox so i was kinda surprised to see they were very tan/orangey brown. I'm struggling to find a way to wear them so I'm considering returning them. So any help or suggestions on what to wear with them would be much appreciated.

I kinda have only one pair of jeans that work with them but i'm kinda clueless how the top half should go...any ideas?

Here are the shoes, I put them next to AE Walnut Strands and the Chocolate brown version of the shoe for contrast:

Below is my attempt (ignore the fit, as the jeans and blazer are new and need to be tailored):

Would you get an exactly matching belt?

Also is it possible to polish them darker? or can you get somebody to die them darker?

bertie

Reaction score
I'm no expert on colour matching but I think tan shoes go best with lighter colours. I wear mine with light to medium grey pants and they look good. They also look okay with white/cream jeans and shades of blue below navy. Not sure they go great with jeans.

yessur

Reaction score
Its a struggle to see how they work and they don't seem very versatile.

Anybody have any examples of people pulling of tan shoes?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lightish grey through to whites work best IMO.

A few thin coats of darker polish will easily turn them into a mid-tan though. Just apply thinly and allow each coat to soak in. With a bit of patience and mixing you could build up a lovely depth of colour.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan shoes also go with yellow pants, but most men don't want to wear that. Anyway, the most important note is to have something above the waist be far more attention-getting than the tan color. The oufit in the picture fails because too much focus goes on the shoes (the only non-neutral worn). With a light blue shirt, the outfit probably would be okay.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads