1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear Red Suspenders?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pbandjay, Jun 24, 2011.

1. pbandjay

pbandjay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback!

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

As you surely must be aware that suspenders/braces are consider "underwear", and thus should NOT be seen by other people........

It doesn't matter what color/pattern your suspenders are. Wear them solely to hold up your pants and perhaps add a bit of individualism to your outfit. Don't match with anything.

3. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

it is totally acceptable to wear silk braces with non-black tie. Traditionally, Silk and boxcloth were traditional, but Silk is easy to wear out, so make sure to let them rest between wearings or you will age them prematurely.

4. pbandjay

pbandjay Well-Known Member

5. pbandjai

pbandjai Well-Known Member

What do the powers at be think of these? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

What do the powers at be think of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

two at least are models about their trade posing for a magazine/web so not representative of anything. The first one may well be from a film so not representative of anything either.

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Clips are for farmer.

8. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

9. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I wear red boxcloth Thurstons all the time. I agree with not showing them off, though. They hold my pants up approximately as well as any other color!

10. greger

greger Senior member

As you surely must be aware that suspenders/braces are consider "underwear", and thus should NOT be seen by other people........

That thought is about as right as thinking the proper pants to wear today is tights and a cod piece.

11. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

What do the powers at be think of these?

I love Chuck Bass' (Ed Westwick) outfit! Call me crazy [​IMG]

12. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I love Chuck Bass' (Ed Westwick) outfit! Call me crazy [​IMG]
    Ok, you are crazy. [​IMG] Its actually funny you say that because hes dressed almost the same as Gekko in your avatar.

13. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

Ok, you are crazy. [​IMG] Its actually funny you say that because hes dressed almost the same as Gekko in your avatar.

[​IMG]

haha true I didn't realize.. well to be honest I never wear suspenders but I like the idea of it ^^ and I think that the outfits are similar because the stylists of gossip girl were going for the old gordon gekko wall street look for chuck bass.. I just think that he can pull it off and it looks cool [​IMG]

14. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    How to wear Red Suspenders?

Oh, you've got lots of options.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

it is totally acceptable to wear silk braces with non-black tie. Traditionally, Silk and boxcloth were traditional, but Silk is easy to wear out, so make sure to let them rest between wearings or you will age them prematurely.

Good advice; I have worn several pairs of silk braces out this way. There is no reason not to wear them with a suit.

16. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I guess I never considered them "underwear,"

[​IMG]

Furthermore I know the leather on the braces should match the leather of my shoes, but does the silk match the tie? or match the suit?

[​IMG]

17. pbandjai

18. pbandjai

maybe i'm an amateur too, but why the face palm? these leathers shouldn't match, or it shouldn't matter because it's underwear?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

maybe i'm an amateur too, but why the face palm? these leathers shouldn't match, or it shouldn't matter because it's underwear?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

At least you're not wearing clip ons.

Whatever you end up doing, for the love of god, please do not wear suspenders with a belt. A lot of my high school friends do that and it is stupid because not only does it look bad but it shows how stupid you are. You wear suspenders because you think you are edgy and fashionable but instead it shows that you know nothing about clothing.