1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear oversized shirts and jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gza, Jun 13, 2006.

1. gza

gza Senior member

The subject of slim vs loosely cut pants/jeans and tops (I know that's a feminine term, but I'm trying here to encompass shirts, sweaters, and jackets) has come up before, and the general consensus has been that the most difficult (and therefore least popular) piece to wear is the oversized top. However, there's quite a tradition of that sort of thing among some of the Japanese designers (Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto), and some of the Belgians like Raf Simons and even Margiela have done the same. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on some of the best ways to wear baggier shirts, sweaters, and jackets.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The subject of slim vs loosely cut pants/jeans and tops (I know that's a feminine term, but I'm trying here to encompass shirts, sweaters, and jackets) has come up before, and the general consensus has been that the most difficult (and therefore least popular) piece to wear is the oversized top. However, there's quite a tradition of that sort of thing among some of the Japanese designers (Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto), and some of the Belgians like Raf Simons and even Margiela have done the same. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on some of the best ways to wear baggier shirts, sweaters, and jackets.

The near constant here is that all the loose tops are either drapey or antifit, or both. If you have the frame (long and lanky), where them with really tight jeans or pants. Otherwise, wear them with looser trousers (Yamamoto usually sends his models out this way.) Just be sure that if the top does not have strong shoulders or a loit of structure, if you do the former, or you'll end up looking like a German businessman in drag [​IMG]

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Soft construction looks better for oversized clothes, I agree. Something intended to be tailored looks silly outsized. That's why the doofuses in giant pleated khakis look so bad.

4. keal

keal Senior member

Baseball cap, extremely oversized hoodie (I wear small shirts, my hoodies are usually xl or xxl), jeans or gym shorts, and flip-flops or sneakers/running shoes.

It's a relaxed, unassuming look. Makes me very approachable, as I'm very muscular, and wearing fitted clothes tends to make people shy away from me. Boo-hoo [​IMG]