• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear contrast collars?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few blue or maroon shirts with contrast white collars and white french cuffs (I envy the bankers
wink.gif
) that I like to wear under suits. I've always been a bit put off by wearing them with anything but a solid black suit, though. Which of the following are appropriate suits to wear over contrast shirts?
1. Black pinstripe
2. Solid charcoal
3. Charcoal pinstripe
4. Solid light gray
5. Light gray pinstripe
6. Solid Navy
7. Navy pinstripe

I'd imagine any of the solids are okay, but I'm not too sure.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Pretty much any suit color is appropriate with contrast collars. It's the color of the shirt's body with which you have to concern yourself -- the same as with any other shirt. The white collar will go with anything, but the body color will or will not work depending on its combination with the suit.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think SpooPoker's done this a few times recently. check out his WAYW pics.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear any of them. They always did look vaguely down market - like repairs - and time has not healed this view.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
How to wear them? Not at all.

+1. Its always been a mystery to me why so many well to do men choose to emulate a boring, square bank manager when it comes to business dress. Even worse if worn out of work.

Requiem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Pretty much any suit color is appropriate with contrast collars. It's the color of the shirt's body with which you have to concern yourself -- the same as with any other shirt. The white collar will go with anything, but the body color will or will not work depending on its combination with the suit.

+1

Sebastian Melmoth

Reaction score

+ 1

Did I read correctly that you have a shirt with the body in solid maroon and the collar and cuffs in white?
Yipes.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

Awesome. This is what I was looking for, thanks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. I'm not a fan, and can recall only one or two times when I thought they looked good.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from black it's no good period except for maybe a funeral. Solids and pinstripes are your best bet. Too much pettern in the suit distracts from the collar.

Reaction score

+1 Always seemed dodgy & never understood why one would do that. Suppose motor bike racing jackets can have different coloured torso and arm material and look OK.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Stay away from black it's no good period except for maybe a funeral. Solids and pinstripes are your best bet. Too much pettern in the suit distracts from the collar.

Black suits can be very sharp - think Reservoir Dogs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads