• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Wear Cavalry Boots

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
So I've become interested in the look of cavalry style boots like these Frye models. But I'm really not sure how to, since they have such high shafts. Traditionally of course the pants would go IN the boot, but that would look costumey. So just with bootcut jeans? But if they go under, then they might as well be smaller boots, right? Anybody here rock boots like this?

87411JTB.jpg

or these JCrew that Arethusa is selling(sorry man, not my size!)

2smvj4.jpg

But

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fist in the air,
shaking, insult unanswered:
I can't let this pass.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of shots from Sartorialist (all credit to Scott Schuman).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can find really good quality riding boots on Ebay for pretty cheap because there's not much market for them.

I would never tuck pants into them unless I were actually out in a field on a horse or whatever. But I could see wearing them with bootcut jeans, sure. I don't like the Cuban heel on the first pair you posted though - too cowboy boot for me.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
My fist in the air, shaking, insult unanswered: I can't let this pass.
??
Originally Posted by Dormouse
With a destrier and saber.
VoyagefromGizatoSaqqara039-1.jpg
Originally Posted by j
You can find really good quality riding boots on Ebay for pretty cheap because there's not much market for them. I would never tuck pants into them unless I were actually out in a field on a horse or whatever. But I could see wearing them with bootcut jeans, sure. I don't like the Cuban heel on the first pair you posted though - too cowboy boot for me.
worship.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
denning;483701 said:
Here are a couple of shots from Sartorialist (all credit to Scott Schuman).
sartorialistequestrianki6.jpg

I think this look would be much better w/o the Gucci bag.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I have several pairs of Frye boots and I wear my jeans over them.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
??
I just want someone to buy those damn boots. Picture's awesome, by the way. Really, with boots like this, either you wear them with pants outside, which is pretty hard to screw up (slight boot cuts look good, but so do straight legs with a bit of stacking). Just make sure you avoid lightweight denim, which is generally incompatible with boots of any kind. If you want to tuck pants into your shoes, you really just need to maintain a coherent aesthetic. What people tend to interpret here as costumey has two components: either it's aesthetically inconsistent with an unconventional element (in this case, tall boots) or it's just not something they're used to (which you can't do anything about). Avoid the former and you can wear them if you want. My only other advice would be to not do it unless there's some degree of function involved (rain, snow, dust storm, whatever), or it's about as affected as wearing a heavy, long coat in summer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Calvary boots are best worn when one is actually in the calvary.

Otherwise, I think they would look nice with a khaki suit, when travelling in various uncivilized enviroments.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Calvary boots are best worn when one is actually in the calvary.

Otherwise, I think they would look nice with a khaki suit, when travelling in various uncivilized enviroments.

Like the Midwest?
rimshot.gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with the Sartorialist pics, I just think that wearing them above pants is too much for the street. It may look neat in a magazine ad, but too pretentious for ME in public.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads