• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Wear Burgundy and the monochromatic trend

Monochromatic Outfits?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

laurencubed

Reaction score
FashionBean just did a story on how to wear burgundy. This is a favorite fall and winter color and is a great color splash alternative for the guys who get stuck in brown, black and cream...without being so bold as bright red.

Monochromatic outfits seem to be a theme this winter in the mags and blogs, but in RL most men are not monochromatic unless it is black, tan or grey.

Are you embracing the monochromatic trend in colors other than black or tan, with colors like burgundy?

Or are you more into layering in color?

The monochromatic styles are from Fashion Bean and the polo is from Vastrm.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only circumstances I can imagine monochromatic burgundy looking good would be something like a mohair/Tonik burgundy suit with sleek burgundy loafers (not mocs) and a silk shirt. Or something equally louche. And obviously, only for a night out somewhere interesting.

Otherwise, while some of your examples are OK in isolation, I can't really imagine them working in most real-life contexts. Well, maybe the top-middle or possibly top-right. Otherwise, introducing a least one other colour makes the burgundy much easier to use.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy IMO is much better when worn as part of an outfit rather than the whole outfit. I love burgundy ties and sweaters (though usually not together) and some love burgundy shoes, but there can be too much of a good thing.

The reason why monochromatic looks in grey work is that (1) grey is a neutral color and does not attract as much attention and (2) there are many tasteful shades of grey that can work that are also sufficiently differentiated. You can make a similar argument for brown / tan or blue. The problem with burgundy is that you are much more limited in shades that work and it is a lot more eye-catching.

laurencubed

Reaction score
I think a monochromatic color is difficult to get away with. I agree that you need at least one other color in there to break up the palate. It is interesting that so many of the fashion blogs right now are pushing the monochromatic look. Must be more of a runway trend rather than a real life trend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads