1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear an odd vest?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

Yes, that's a jacket. I haven't figured how to wear an odd vest with a suit. Or if, for that matter. The sizing on vests - at least from Orvis - is wildly inconsistent. I am generally a 42R but I had one labeled "large" that was enormous and another alleged "42" that was far too tight. I tend to use vests with my loosest jackets. That third pic is as tight as it gets (not very). I am in the process of moving and that combo was designed to facilitate shucking of coat and tie for box-schlepping purposes, and still be able to saunter over to the newspaper office (now only five minutes away) and be ready for action. Today's entry - another Orvis via STP and a wonderful shapeless old jacket that's perfect for a rainy day. I will be standing in a field this afternoon watching field hockey and soccer. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gentleman8

Gentleman8 Member

That last vest is really nice as well -- even with the lapels.. And you seem to have some collection of ties! I put my belts & ties on a "spinner" hanger (as per pic). But these don't have much room on them, so you need several. My dream would be to have a walk-in closet! Some day maybe..

Ok, what about this vest then?
    (it comes from Blair's, but no, I don't buy from them).. [​IMG]

And talking about inconsistent sizes.. I'm usually 42S, sometimes 42R. Last summer I ordered a silk jacket from Jos. A. Bank, like this one but a different color. When I tried it on I couldn't believe it. The sleeves only reached my mid-forearms and the jacket length was 1.5 inches less than the shortest jacket I had.. This was not even close to 42S, even though that's what the labeled said. Either the jacket ended up with the wrong label for some reason, or they are completely off with their measurements. I wrote customer service but never received a reply [​IMG] So J.A.B. is "blacklisted" for 6 months.. [​IMG]

That same week I also bought a CK blazer from Macy's, also size 42S, and I had to have the sleeves altered to make them half an inch shorter..... (the blazer is nice enough, the wool is textured rather than smooth, looks good for casual weekends).

Buying on the internet is often a hit and miss..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]