• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Wear A White Suit?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Wow, I don't quite remember! LOL. I think it may be center vented. It is a Freeman's Sporting Club and it is made from English deadstock wool. More of a cream than a true white. I wonder if I could get away with wearing it in the cooler months? Probably not.....

It took MUCHO work to get ****** into those pants. My poor tailor had to completely redo them for me, and they are still a squeeze. Probably why I have only worn it once this season.

Mike

Freeman's Sporting Club does OTR? I thought they only did MTM or some MTM/"bespoke" hybrid...

FWIW, I love that look. Pimp yet classy as hell.

Geezer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Like this?

Raiders-5.JPG

That's how you do a white suit.

In favour of the white suit:

(a) style: looking cool;
(b) historic references: that brilliant Alec Guiness film;
(c) versatility: depending on cut, wear the jacket as anything from a summer blazer with jeans to a white dinner jacket;
(d) sexiness: your undies/nutsack/dangler may be visible.

Against the white suit:

(a) style: looking like a prize twat;
(b) historic references: the entire 1970s;
(c) versatility: summer only, shows dirt;

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Freeman's Sporting Club does OTR? I thought they only did MTM or some MTM/"bespoke" hybrid...

FWIW, I love that look. Pimp yet classy as hell.

It was MTM, but not for me!! LOL. The jacket is actually a tad big, but the pants were way obscene. I don't know who it was made for, but he must have been an odd shaped fellow.
smile.gif

Mike

kcc

Reaction score
I'd do cream or ivory not white in a DB with trouser lining to knee or mid thigh; pale blue shirt with repp ties: gold & navy or gold & burgundy striped silk* or solid knitted silk ; split toe Derbys in burnt pine.

*The LH raw silk tie first seen on Foo would definately work.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
That beard is also his cousin

Royals love marrying cousins. Preserves the bloodline. It's part of this reptile conspiracy thingie I read about in high school.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in da caymans on da beach with no shoes after you net 100mil with a model like bim!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well fisrt you put your shirt and socks on then start with your pants, one leg at a time. Then comes the jacket and this is the most important part, go in one sleeve at a time adjusting it on your shoulders as needed. Make sure to buttom the top button only when standing and undone when sitting. That pretty much covers it.

mlongano

Reaction score
Please review pictures from "The Great Gatsby"...if you could pull it off like Redford, you'll look great!!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
w/ light versions of colored shirts ... blues, pinks, etc. ... or same colors as stripes on white

w/ a tan or very light brown shoes & belt

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last year I was at a casual beach wedding in Cancun. It turned out I was the only white guy there and all the fellas by coincidence were wearing white (most of them shorts +sport shirt suits). I wore white linen 3 button 2 piece with light turquoise lacoste polo, turquoise pocket square, no socks and charcoal driving mocs. All very Don Johnson but its not often you get the chance to wear a white suit and the picture of all the fellas came out very well. Would love the chance to do something similar. I have since acquired a cream linen suit and black and aqua coloured camp shirts so I'm ready should the occasion arise.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Last year I was at a casual beach wedding in Cancun. It turned out I was the only white guy there and all the fellas by coincidence were wearing white (most of them shorts +sport shirt suits). I wore white linen 3 button 2 piece with light turquoise lacoste polo, turquoise pocket square, no socks and charcoal driving mocs. All very Don Johnson but its not often you get the chance to wear a white suit and the picture of all the fellas came out very well. Would love the chance to do something similar. I have since acquired a cream linen suit and black and aqua coloured camp shirts so I'm ready should the occasion arise.
Oh my ... I don't know what ... but, oh my.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
all the fellas by coincidence were wearing white (most of them shorts +sport shirt suits).

What does this mean?
confused.gif
And a Lacoste polo with a suit?
puzzled.gif

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geezer
That's how you do a white suit.

In favour of the white suit:

(a) style: looking cool;
(b) historic references: that brilliant Alec Guiness film;
(c) versatility: depending on cut, wear the jacket as anything from a summer blazer with jeans to a white dinner jacket;

Against the white suit:

(a) style: looking like a prize twat;
(b) historic references: the entire 1970s;
(c) versatility: summer only, shows dirt;

I like the outfit and the shoes, but your blue shirt is the wrong tone bro! Off white looks amazing with a nice soft blue. Honestly great outfit though!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads