• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a white shirt

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or, if you like white shirts, wear them in good health.

A Ryan, you've heard the arguments both sides. There is no "right" answer. At some point, you gotta do you.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
fing02[1].gif

Thanks to everyone for the enlightening and enjoyable discussion.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ryan, it seems to me that you have deeper problems with your look than wearing a white shirt with everything.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
PB, if you weren't a member I highly respected - which you are - I'd ignore that or tell you to *************. But since that isn't the case, I'm quite intrigued as to what you have to say. EDUCATE ME

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
FWIW, today at work I'm wearing a pale blue and navy tattersall with soft unfused button down collar, slate blue grenadine and tan linen SC. Still with the much hated half-windsor and clip, though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By all means tell me to go **** myself. I wouldn't say I am highly respected, just rather, well known.

I just think your outfits have some gimmicks that are more distracting than the shirt. If you like the tie clip wear it down lower. I already mentioned the big knot. Also, the grenadine, imo, is too formal for the casualness of that jacket you are wearing in the above picture, also it is too close in color, which looks like you tend to do this. Your tie should have more variation in color from the jacket. I like that collar, however.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
I've tried using a slide clasp on the narrow end of the tie to keep my tie in place; the main issue is I can't stand in swinging around much. OCD kinda thing. I could try that again I suppose.

I do wear too many grenadines, and have switched over to wool and cashmere for the fall/winter; however, I've yet to build a collection of cotton or linen ties for spring/summer wear. Going to work on that next season.

The monochrome jacket and (solid) tie look is something I love. Not sure why. I do wear them darker than the jacket on occasion, but always struggle mentally with the tie being lighter than the jacket. Appreciate the feedback.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am certainly Mr. Monochrome. I just think a bit more color variation is necessary. If you like a tie darker, go a couple more shades darker than the jacket.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you under the impression that I am sad about your tie clip? I am not. I think it looks like ****. A picture of a turd would have been more appropriate.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
One man's **** is another man's treasure, as the saying goes. Let's toss it up to personal preference, shall we?

The Louche V2

Reaction score
For virtually any odd jacket combo you can think of, it's not just that a blue shirt would be better but that a white shirt is wrong. The only exception is a blazer and grays, worn at night.

White shirts nearly always demand black shoes. If it's a more casual outfit (blazer & white BD), mink suede is a decent substitute, since you should not be wearing black shoes with a blazer.

If you are wearing a blazer and grays—or almost anything else for that matter—at night, you almost HAVE to wear black shoes. In fact, I'd argue that a white shirt, blazer, grays, and black shoes is an ideal rig for a nighttime cocktail affair.

Last edited:

Sartorially Striving

Reaction score
Fascinating to see this thread bumped from the archives.

I work for a company vaguely reminiscent of 1950’s to 1960’s IBM. White or blue shirt. Sport coat, blazer, or suit. Tie more likely than not, though not specifically required. (Admittedly part of this is me rebelling against some of the slovenly attire some of our folks show up in.)

Most of my shirts are blue because I got tired of my white shirts accumulating grime off my neck, never mind the sartorial color-coordinating issues.

Generally I see white shirts as more formal, worn for pitches or when meeting clients. Blue is for when I’m just going to be in the office.

I have to go on an out of town trip next month for a few days. Need to mull some of the thoughts in here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads