How to wear a white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

I've been convinced to get a white linen shirt.

2. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

I'm not sure if FC is best in North America. Your average "interview advice" thread would recommend BC as it doesn't stand out, but that's not an issue in the UK.

I would get the collar that looks best on your face, somewhere between semi-spread and point (nothing extreme). I would prefer a broadcloth for its crispness in the situations where white is required.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

ok, so if a white linen shirt isn't a "regular" white shirt, what about patterned white shirts? white on white herringbone and so on?

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I hate white on white patterns.

or blue on blue.

just any tonal patterns. Not sure why, I just associate them with wealthy-middle-aged-man-wants-to-dress-up-so-he-buys-"luxe"-looking-shirt-with-french-cuffs-and-massive-collar-and-wears-with-distressed-jeans-and-awful-loafers.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love white button cuff, spread collar and BD shirts to wear with jeans with and without a blazer. They look crisp and it balances out the various shades of blue. With tan/khaki or gray pants and a blazer I usually go with a blue shirt unless my tie is begging for a white shirt (i.e. it has white or silver in it) .

6. GusW

I think the heavy twill or herringbone fabrics look great sitting all wrapped up at a store or in tailors swatch books. But I never see anyone wearing them and think, 'That looks great, I really need one of those". With patterned suits and jackets they seem to clash and with solid suits and jackets their pattern seems to stand out too much. So, they are a concept that should work in theory but rarely does IRL. IMO.

7. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Agreed. I think twill can work, but it's not as versatile. The worst are things like shiny raised satin stripes or checks against a more matte background. Often included in the box with matching red satin tie & PS.

8. GusW

There are very fine twills that work well. In fact I like the feel of a nice twill. But the thicker, bolder twills that give a noticeable diagonal pattern to a shirt, no.

9. GusW

I think Robert Talbott shirts used to hold the record for this look. Hopefully they are figuring that one out these days with the new CEO.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

White with tattersall check?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

FWIW, when I went through my archive, 99% of what I had fit your general rule. Those that didn't still fit in some way, or were a bit boring, as you noted.

I still think white OCBDs and linen shirts are optimal in certain circumstances, and the things deemed boring here are classic enough to be considered unassailable, but fair enough - there are some good lessons in that first post.

12. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

White shirt worn with blazer and greys at night :

Should not be wearing black shoes with a blazer

vs

White shirt usually demands black shoes

&

Black shoes after 6PM

Which shoes to wear? Do the latter two considerations take precedence?

A white shirt worn at night with a blazer is less likely to be a BD (or at least more likely to be a spread collar), so mink suede seems less a less appropriate substitute , and that's before we get back to the fact that it's after 6PM and mink suede would be inappropriate anyway.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

13. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

i intended to wear a pale blue shirt with this but opted for white last minute and ended up actually preferring it over blue. sartorially speaking how terrible is this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Green tie? I would personally have opted for a light blue shirt, but it looks amazing nonetheless. Maybe another PS to stay away from the white-on-white or a TV-fold would help?

15. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

I do think a pale blue shirt would have worked better here. It would have softened up the contrast between jacket, shirt, and tie, creating a slightly less jarring effect. The white shirt isn't "wrong" here in the technical sense, but it's very stark. The outfit you've put together here is a very after-6pm outfit, and in broad daylight, it would come off a bit severe.