How to wear a white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

@dopey Makes total sense.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There is something inherently wrong with it. He looks awful BECAUSE of it.

3. Manton

I am going to start a poll.

4. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Interesting topic for a threak. Foo said something about only needing one or two white shirts, and that they're not really "staples" to stock up on, but I have to disagree with that. Of course, a lot of it has to do with your occupation. I'm a lawyer and I'm usually in court at least twice a week. I almost exclusively wear solid white shirts when I'm in court, and if I'm not wearing white, then it's solid pale blue. So, I feel the need for more than one or two white shirts.

Here's a sample of what I wore yesterday to court, which I guess seems to fit in with Manton's original post (navy suit, white shirt, silver tie). Do/don't?

[​IMG]

Sorry, the color didn't come out well.

5. Manton

NY, I commented on this in the good tatse thread. Summary: color mix is right on, don't like the narrow striped suiting, and I wish the tie pattern were more distinct.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know how it became me who has been driven into defending the classic American canon of late, but I think an exception needs to be made for the white OCBD, which to me has many beautiful uses. Best and most elided in Manton's mini-treatise is that the white OCBD is great in a casual context, e.g. with jeans, or khakis. Also, under a tweed sportcoat (grays and blues, in particular) and under camelhair (he already mentioned the blazer).

maybe I just get like this in the summer.

7. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

Great thread.

My only departure from the OP is that I will rarely wear a white shirt with blue blazer and grey pants. Always with black shoes though. Other than that, I only wear a white shirt with suits, but burgundy shoes will work here, IMO. I never wear a white shirt without a tie.

As for yellow on white, I have worn a yellow tie with blue dots on a white shirt, but only with a navy suit, never with grey.

8. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Ah, didn't see it. As far as the tie pattern, I agree with that. Interestingly, it's sort of a "shimmery" look, and the distinctiveness of the pattern tends to come and go depending on lighting. Now that I look at this again, the narrowness of the tie pattern is a little too close to the narrow suit stripes.

9. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

I almost always wear a white shirt. My ideal wardrobe would consist only of white shirts. As it stands though, I do have a few sport shirts (pre-white shirt philosophy) that are colored patterns (i.e. plaid or striped) but thankfully have a white ground.

11. E TF

E TF Senior member

I existed in this blissful state until I read this thread: now, never again. :(

Just about the only piece of explicit sartorial advice I ever received as a child was when my mother told me a gentleman only wears a white shirt to funerals (I think she took evening wear for granted). I didn't listen though.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Much better with the blue shirt indeed....

13. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I consider white button downs to be an essential part of my wardrobe. While many may disagree, I have no problems with wearing it every day in a more casual setting, especially during the summer or when I visit the South.

My basic rules are: It must fit and be fresh. But, to each his own, I guess...

14. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I had an event today which required UCBD, so I wore a white shirt. I thought I'd let Manton and others comment on if I wore an appropriate tie. This was a no pocket square occasion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored