Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to wear a white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

@dopey Makes total sense.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There is something inherently wrong with it. He looks awful BECAUSE of it.

3. Manton

I am going to start a poll.

4. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Interesting topic for a threak. Foo said something about only needing one or two white shirts, and that they're not really "staples" to stock up on, but I have to disagree with that. Of course, a lot of it has to do with your occupation. I'm a lawyer and I'm usually in court at least twice a week. I almost exclusively wear solid white shirts when I'm in court, and if I'm not wearing white, then it's solid pale blue. So, I feel the need for more than one or two white shirts.

Here's a sample of what I wore yesterday to court, which I guess seems to fit in with Manton's original post (navy suit, white shirt, silver tie). Do/don't?

[​IMG]

Sorry, the color didn't come out well.

5. Manton

NY, I commented on this in the good tatse thread. Summary: color mix is right on, don't like the narrow striped suiting, and I wish the tie pattern were more distinct.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know how it became me who has been driven into defending the classic American canon of late, but I think an exception needs to be made for the white OCBD, which to me has many beautiful uses. Best and most elided in Manton's mini-treatise is that the white OCBD is great in a casual context, e.g. with jeans, or khakis. Also, under a tweed sportcoat (grays and blues, in particular) and under camelhair (he already mentioned the blazer).

maybe I just get like this in the summer.

7. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

Great thread.

My only departure from the OP is that I will rarely wear a white shirt with blue blazer and grey pants. Always with black shoes though. Other than that, I only wear a white shirt with suits, but burgundy shoes will work here, IMO. I never wear a white shirt without a tie.

As for yellow on white, I have worn a yellow tie with blue dots on a white shirt, but only with a navy suit, never with grey.

8. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Ah, didn't see it. As far as the tie pattern, I agree with that. Interestingly, it's sort of a "shimmery" look, and the distinctiveness of the pattern tends to come and go depending on lighting. Now that I look at this again, the narrowness of the tie pattern is a little too close to the narrow suit stripes.

9. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

I almost always wear a white shirt. My ideal wardrobe would consist only of white shirts. As it stands though, I do have a few sport shirts (pre-white shirt philosophy) that are colored patterns (i.e. plaid or striped) but thankfully have a white ground.

11. E TF

E TF Senior member

I existed in this blissful state until I read this thread: now, never again. :(

Just about the only piece of explicit sartorial advice I ever received as a child was when my mother told me a gentleman only wears a white shirt to funerals (I think she took evening wear for granted). I didn't listen though.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Much better with the blue shirt indeed....

13. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I consider white button downs to be an essential part of my wardrobe. While many may disagree, I have no problems with wearing it every day in a more casual setting, especially during the summer or when I visit the South.

My basic rules are: It must fit and be fresh. But, to each his own, I guess...

14. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I had an event today which required UCBD, so I wore a white shirt. I thought I'd let Manton and others comment on if I wore an appropriate tie. This was a no pocket square occasion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored