How to wear a white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Foo and Manton reached sartorial Nirvana.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i imagine most of these ideas are found in various different books from authorities on classical mens dress.

i do hear white and yellow though as an issue. i think maybe they are too close in tone, and all the lightness and brightness might just end up washing out the whole look. whereas yellow on blue, is both a pretty combination, and provides proper contrast.

just my guess.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have been told that only vox has reached sartorial nirvana.

4. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

My favourite shirts are all white.

5. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior member

Here's something cool to try, if you dare. I have a wonderful slim white Kiton shirt. It has nice high arm holes and a small spread collar. It has sort of a pique fabric. You would say it's a modern, less formal white shirt, but still in the formal family. When it comes back from being laundered, all pressed and everything - looking new, it's a thing of beauty. But one day I decided to wash and by hand and let it hang dry so it would have a slight wrinkled "used" look. I wore it with a pair of awesome light grey (almost blue) La Vera wool pants. Topped it off with brown shoes (sometimes cordovan) and light grey cashmere socks. I got lots of compliments. I think what it does is take an item people see as dressy and formal and "messes" it up. Somehow, the contrast (messy-formal) is very nice and intriguing. Try it. But I got to say, the first time I did it, it was hard to mess up that nice professional press job. I know the more traditional guys out there will not approve of this. But one reason I did it is because I think I dress nicely (or so I am told) and I don't want the reputation of being a dandy.

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Indeed. Wear a purple tie with a white shirt (even though Manton said you shouldn't) and most people won't say a thing. Change the tie for a yellow one and you will get weird faces... they just clash.

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

Works for the Donald, works for me.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

No, he doesn't.
    He's conveying his experience. You don't have to listen.
    Most of it doesn't apply to me. But i'm interested in clothes and i'm interested in the experience of real people.

This is not coming from some shop saying "you can wear a white shirt with absolutely everything!!!!So versatile!!!111" or a blog needing to make up "The 10 Men's Essentials TM".

His logic is interesting. I can pick and choose what applies to me.

9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

That yellow almost looks like light orange, it's pretty dark. Personally, I still don't like it...

10. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

Call it what you will. My point is that he "conveys his experience" in a tone that suggests he received that knowledge on stone tablets at the top of a mountain. This tone makes it occasionally hard to distinguish opinions from statements of fact, or statements about aesthetics from statements about social correctness.

Like I said, I enjoy his writing, and I think there's a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from it. Nowhere have I said that I choose "not to listen." In fact, if you'd read my post more carefully, you'd have seen that I was actually paying him a compliment.

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

well, we could just put IMHO ahead of every sentence but this whole fashion business is subjective anyway so it's a given. There are no real rules.

this is interesting too

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

Manton just called me a stooge. And now I have to start buying shirts that are not White.

cdn2.gossipcenter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_header/photos/daniel-radcliffe-paris-woman.jpg

Yellow looks fine to me.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I pretty much agree with Fuuma's and others points about SW&D and white shirts. I was a Dior fanatic in college in the heyday of Hedi Slimane (who is now making Yves roll over in his grave). I wore mainly white shirts then with black Dior suits. The blue shirt was a mark of the conservative businessman. I wear mostly white shirts now, while I am not a businessman, I am a part of the business world I just still appreciate a look that is clean and simplistic. I gravitated towards it then when I was at a different stage in my life, and now at a new stage I still have the same eye for what it is that I like with a bit more age on me. Would I go back to wearing skinny black suits? No way in hell. We all grow up and move on.

14. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored