How to wear a white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Or, if you like white shirts, wear them in good health.

A Ryan, you've heard the arguments both sides. There is no "right" answer. At some point, you gotta do you.

2. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for the enlightening and enjoyable discussion.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ryan, it seems to me that you have deeper problems with your look than wearing a white shirt with everything.

4. Andrew Ryan

PB, if you weren't a member I highly respected - which you are - I'd ignore that or tell you to fuck yourself. But since that isn't the case, I'm quite intrigued as to what you have to say. EDUCATE ME

5. Andrew Ryan

FWIW, today at work I'm wearing a pale blue and navy tattersall with soft unfused button down collar, slate blue grenadine and tan linen SC. Still with the much hated half-windsor and clip, though.

6. patrickBOOTH

By all means tell me to go fuck myself. I wouldn't say I am highly respected, just rather, well known.

I just think your outfits have some gimmicks that are more distracting than the shirt. If you like the tie clip wear it down lower. I already mentioned the big knot. Also, the grenadine, imo, is too formal for the casualness of that jacket you are wearing in the above picture, also it is too close in color, which looks like you tend to do this. Your tie should have more variation in color from the jacket. I like that collar, however.

7. Andrew Ryan

I've tried using a slide clasp on the narrow end of the tie to keep my tie in place; the main issue is I can't stand in swinging around much. OCD kinda thing. I could try that again I suppose.

I do wear too many grenadines, and have switched over to wool and cashmere for the fall/winter; however, I've yet to build a collection of cotton or linen ties for spring/summer wear. Going to work on that next season.

The monochrome jacket and (solid) tie look is something I love. Not sure why. I do wear them darker than the jacket on occasion, but always struggle mentally with the tie being lighter than the jacket. Appreciate the feedback.

8. patrickBOOTH

I am certainly Mr. Monochrome. I just think a bit more color variation is necessary. If you like a tie darker, go a couple more shades darker than the jacket.

9. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

+1,000,000 that tie clip sucks.

10. Andrew Ryan

[​IMG]

11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Are you under the impression that I am sad about your tie clip? I am not. I think it looks like shit. A picture of a turd would have been more appropriate.

12. Andrew Ryan

One man's shit is another man's treasure, as the saying goes. Let's toss it up to personal preference, shall we?

[​IMG]