• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a vintage velvet dinner jacket?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously boss coat.

I think simpler is better with the rest of the rig too keep it from looking too costumey.

lefty

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I think this has sort of a peter max look about it, and maybe some 60's white bell bottoms. Why go half way? Otherwise black jeans and turtleneck.

Stewie

Reaction score
Effin amazing! That is a fantastic piece of history! Pucci at his finest!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Im thinking now maybe regular tux pants but cut in a 70's vein, slim through the hips with a subtle boot cut down the leg. I think Tom Ford may do this but I know labelking had some vintage trousers cut that way. And perhaps a ruffled shirt, too, if I could find a tasteful one.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mark Jacobs also cuts trousers like this - or did a few years ago.

You coud try boot cut and a ruffled shirt, but if someone calls out, "Yeah, baby!" in the first 30 minutes I would dump the costumey gear for something more subtle. The coat holds up on it's own.

lefty

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I'm more like a 16 - 16.5. I think I might just get a pleated shirt. I mostly was wondering if there were any conventions for wearing unconventional dinner jackets - is there a certain rig that goes with velvet smoking jackets that's distinct from normal black tie?

Here's the jacket. The colors are a little off from the lighting but it's pretty close.

All this jacket needs is hair...lots and lots of hair....

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Pucci and think that jacket is pretty damn fun(ky).

Obviously it's only wearable for fun & informal occasions but within that, I think would look great with the usual rest of the dinner suit oufit. I do like the idea mentioned upthread of using a ruffled or pleated shirt with it, to complete the informalising effect. Normal dinner suit trousers & shoes though; nothing crazy needed there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads