• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a turquoise tie

baseball07

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking for a shirt/suit color and combination which would be a good fit for this turquoise tie without looking like a "douche". I like the aqua tie color and I have been wanting to wear this color tie (Kenneth Cole) for about a year now, however everytime I go to pair it with a shirt/suit I end up looking like a douche. The only color it may look good with is a white shirt. Any suggestions/sample pictures? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Silk-Solid-Turquoise-NeckTie/dp/B000LY3JLW/ref=pd_sxp_f_i

coop86

Reaction score
I'd go with a crisp white shirt and a dark navy/charcoal suit. See below.

baseball07

Reaction score
Thank you. That was my initial assumption. I have paired it with a white shirt and a charcoal suit with light pin stripes once and it looked ok. Just wondering if there was anything more interesting to do with it.

baseball07

Reaction score
Thank you, that is just what I was looking for. I knew the douchey-ness was a little too much, I just needed a second opinion.

Romans116

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a turquoise tie......

Why not wear black shirt?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a turquoise tie......
Why not wear black shirt?

This is the way that you are guaranteed to look like a douchebag or a refugee from a cyberpunk science-fiction novel. Who are these people who sign on here just to give useless advice?

If you are sure you want to keep this tie, then keep the rest simple as the first reply suggested. But I don't think it would be anyone's first choice of neckwear here.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the way that you are guaranteed to look like a douchebag or a refugee from a cyberpunk science-fiction novel. Who are these people who sign on here just to give useless advice?

If you are sure you want to keep this tie, then keep the rest simple as the first reply suggested. But I don't think it would be anyone's first choice of neckwear here.

Cyberpunk fans?

Also, we should probably add that if your tie has enough sheen to be used as a target for a laser rangefinder, then you should remove and dispose of said tie.

Testoni

Reaction score
Admittedly, this is a difficult one ...

My younger sister gave me a turquoise tie for Christmas. After much contemplation, I donated it. There's a high school kid somewhere that needs formal wear.

Romans116

Reaction score

Ahem. Maybe not everyone wants to look 50 years old? I would prefer darker shade of turquoise then the one showed but there is nothing wrong with color. So because it is my first post i have a useless opinion?

I wouldn't wear a solid on solid but almost any tie can look good with the right shirt.

You may feel better in your overpriced clothing but i buy what is comfortable and looks good. I just bought a new thomas pink shirt paired with an isaia tie and got zero compliments. I get more compliments from a van huesen shirt and non silk tie (gift).

And honestly a ted baker tie with a fun design is fun and very sharp. And heck maybe can make you stand out in a good way if you have an outgoing personality.

But ya the tie could be a better shade but it is the person wearing the clothes that makes them look good not the price.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White shirt / paler blue striped shirt / pale pink striped shirt / pale lemon striped / checked shirt etc. Any shirt that is pale and with pattern effectively.

However solid coloured very very bright ties are not the best to match.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may feel better in your overpriced clothing but i buy what is comfortable and looks good.

Perhaps when you've shown us how good you look, you might earn the respect that will lead to people taking your opinions seriously. Until then, I suggest you hang around here a little longer and learn some stuff... like I did, and like lots of other people do. You'll find people are really welcoming and helpful here... if you don't arrive thinking you already know everything worth knowing. Just some advice.

Romans116

Reaction score

Perhaps when you've shown us how good you look, you might earn the respect that will lead to people taking your opinions seriously. Until then, I suggest you hang around here a little longer and learn some stuff... like I did, and like lots of other people do. You'll find people are really welcoming and helpful here... if you don't arrive thinking you already know everything worth knowing. Just some advice.

If i get compliments from good looking women and made fun of by dudes with no style. That is a good start imho.

Maybe i look like **** and i don't know it.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody looks good in a black shirt except Richard Belzer. Are you Richard Belzer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads