• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a turquoise tie

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh great. Now I have an urge to go to Nieman's and see if they have any Charvet ties in turquoise. That's like three strike in a row...

Dan e gee

Reaction score

:brick:
Just because the 60yo secretary who shops at Dress Barn liked your non-expensive combo doesn't mean a turquoise tie is justified. You'll notice that the Drake's, Zegna's, Ford's, Marinelli's, etc of the world don't produce shiny turquoise ties.

Kiton produce a load of shiny turquoise ties.

and I have seen one or two Drakes shantung like:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kiton produces more ugly ties than any other high end tie maker.

(of course, they produce plenty of damn fine ones too)

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
With a chocolate brown suit and light-blue shirt ... maybe. But really, there are always far preferable alternatives.

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone.  I am looking for a shirt/suit color and combination which would be a good fit for this turquoise tie without looking like a "douche".  I like the aqua tie color and I have been wanting to wear this color tie (Kenneth Cole) for about a year now, however everytime I go to pair it with a shirt/suit I end up looking like a douche.  The only color it may look good with is a white shirt.  Any suggestions/sample pictures?  Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Silk-Solid-Turquoise-NeckTie/dp/B000LY3JLW/ref=pd_sxp_f_i

Perhaps your own funeral.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would look good with a white or ecru shirt and navy or midnight coat, but other than that I can't see where that color would look good.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

:brick:

Just because the 60yo secretary who shops at Dress Barn liked your non-expensive combo doesn't mean a turquoise tie is justified. You'll notice that the Drake's, Zegna's, Ford's, Marinelli's, etc of the world don't produce shiny turquoise ties.

Here is the thing...this forum is about style in the classic/timeless sense. It is not a fashion thread, which is why there is very little discussion of D&G, Prada, Gucci, etc. This place is custom Savile Row and Neapolitan tailoring (some of it legit, some wannabe), benchmade footwear, and discussions on the uses of light and dark suede shoes. The OP's original topic is going to be viewed by a very small minority as being stylish, thus the responses you see about burning that tie. No reason for you to get overly defensive because you think it looks good. To each his own. But here, you are the 1%, and you just attacked the 99%. Gotta expect backlash.

Actually, an increasing number of people (including myself and many other members of SF and other fashion and style message boards) prefer Soft Roman Italian tailoring to Neapolitan Italian tailoring.

In the opinions of this increasing number of people (again, including myself and many other members of SF and other fashion and style message boards), Soft Roman Italian tailoring is simply more flattering than Neapolitan Italian tailoring (and all other Italian tailoring for that matter). That being said, Neapolitan Italian tailoring is also very flattering. Both of these types of Italian tailoring are soft enough to feel just as comfortable, natural looking and relaxed looking as pajamas and sweatsuits.

I am not a fan of the other three types of Italian tailoring (Florentine, Milanese and Structured Roman) because, unless they are on mannequins, I find them to be unflattering due to being firm enough to be just as uncomfortable, non-relaxed looking and unnatural looking as bulletproof vests.

Also, I actually like that turquoise solid tie (which is really teal as turquoise is a dark color with aqua being a medium color). That tie is clearly a light color (which teal, as we all know, is).

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start by applying gasoline thoroughly on the necktie. Make sure it is evenly spread and there are no dry spots. This is key to your success.

After your have double checked your work, strike a match near the tie and let the flame get near the material in order to set it ablaze.

If done correctly, you'll have a quick eruption of flames that should get the job done quickly. Make sure that the whole tie is scorched and destroyed before the fire dies out.

If necessary, add lighter fluid liberally to sustain the reaction.

Thank me later. Good luck.

Last edited:

wannabestyled

Reaction score
The best way to wear a turquoise tie, is to not wear a turquoise tie. Speaking from personal experience, I posted a similar question not long ago, and it even involved matching my girlfriend. I basically was torn to shreds by the group but thankfully, they gave me some great advice in the end and I opted for something different. Since then I feel I've been trying to learn some things. It would be who of anyone to pay attention to people who have the experience and know what they're talking about. I took offense, like you, when they bashed me, but when the smoke clears your eyes will open to a new world and you will feel better about the way you dress. Or not.

The following pictures are the before and after. Though the suit was not ideal a far as SF's standards, I do really like the suit (plus it's one of two that I own, sad I know) and paired it with the Glen Plaid tie. I felt much better with the choice and I think the pictures justified that. Notice the four-in-hand knot that was also recommended to me. And, it is not in the picture but I also added a plain white pocket square...that was recommended. Obviously wasn't the perfect get-up but was at least better with a simple change of the tie.

lullemans72

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to revive this thread with a question of my own on the topic of turquoise ties. I got myself some turquoise ties last year but have barely worn them as I usually give way to other, in my opinion, more elegant ties.

The two ties in question are these two in the photo. The one with stripes isn't all that bad if you ask me, but it's the other one with the diamond/flower pattern I feel is a bit of an eye sore. I've worn the latter a couple of times at work and have actually even received compliments on it. But in my mind, it feels just too loud, somewhat clownish even...

Hence, I'm open to receiving feedback on both ties. Do you think I should keep them or get rid of one or both of them?

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_233234.jpg
    IMG_20210207_233234.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210214_180552.png
    IMG_20210214_180552.png
    720 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
becredsuit-main.jpg

lullemans72

Reaction score

Cheers for the reply. Is this an example of how turquoise ties can be worn in style? If you could elaborate, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, please do let me know what you think of the ties I posted.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to revive this thread with a question of my own on the topic of turquoise ties. I got myself some turquoise ties last year but have barely worn them as I usually give way to other, in my opinion, more elegant ties.

The two ties in question are these two in the photo. The one with stripes isn't all that bad if you ask me, but it's the other one with the diamond/flower pattern I feel is a bit of an eye sore. I've worn the latter a couple of times at work and have actually even received compliments on it. But in my mind, it feels just too loud, somewhat clownish even...

Hence, I'm open to receiving feedback on both ties. Do you think I should keep them or get rid of one or both of them?

They seem wearable. Here are some tips.

(1) Tie a better knot. Four-in-hand is most common in these parts.

(2) I think a shirt with a subtle pink or red stripe could do well with ties in this color range. They would complement ties like this nicely.

(3) Ties in this color range would work will with a brown jacket. I can't gauge how formal these ties are from the pics you posted so I can't say if they would be too informal for a brown tweed or not, but browns pair nicely with light blues. In general, bright colors pair well with their muddy complements (e.g. the bright red of a rose, with the dark muddy green of its stem). Olive could also work well.

(4) If you think the ties are overly bright, try wearing them more during the summer.

(5) They could go well with a beige or cream colored jacket. Really, any typical linen jacket--cigar, tobacco, cream, tan, olive--should work with ties in this color range.

lullemans72

Reaction score
They seem wearable. Here are some tips.

(1) Tie a better knot. Four-in-hand is most common in these parts.

True. That tie was way to thick to have a full windsor anyway. Nowadays I usually go with half windsor, the old bertie, or 4 in hand if I wear a knit tie.

(2) I think a shirt with a subtle pink or red stripe could do well with ties in this color range. They would complement ties like this nicely.

Very good point. I think I'll try this out next time. I have a lavender shirt and a checkered red/white shirt which might work.

(3) Ties in this color range would work will with a brown jacket. I can't gauge how formal these ties are from the pics you posted so I can't say if they would be too informal for a brown tweed or not, but browns pair nicely with light blues. In general, bright colors pair well with their muddy complements (e.g. the bright red of a rose, with the dark muddy green of its stem). Olive could also work well.

Thanks for the tip. I don't own any tweed jackets, but I do own one brown three piece suit, so that should be close to what you're suggesting.

(4) If you think the ties are overly bright, try wearing them more during the summer.

Good idea. Though sadly, Japanese summers are far too hot and humid to be wearing anything around your neck....

(5) They could go well with a beige or cream colored jacket. Really, any typical linen jacket--cigar, tobacco, cream, tan, olive--should work with ties in this color range.

For sure. Will keep this in mind in the event that I have blazers or sports coats made in the future.

Thank you!! That's money! I absolutely love the first photo. Beautiful combination.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads