• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a turquoise tie

Romans116

Reaction score
Really.....not even with grey pant tie with a slight pop of color....or gray tie of some sprt...

EMLopez

Reaction score
Wouldn't some of these decisions depend on his skin, hair, and eye color?

Romans116

Reaction score
You're either trolling or totally delusional.
I guess it is option 2 since i am not trolling......not too many options :).

I was thinking black shirt with a grey tie. Maybe a combonation die of the 2nd and third one in with wider patern and a few thin solid black lines?

Is the goal of this forum to be boring or what...confused. Ironic that i am arguing boringness regarding black shirt. I just don't understand saying that noone can look good in such attire when it is not true.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the goal of this forum to be boring or what...confused. Ironic that i am arguing boringness regarding black shirt. I just don't understand saying that noone can look good in such attire when it is not true.

The goal of the MC part of the forum is first of all, to help people wear clothes that actually fit, and secondly, chose coherent combinations that look good in a timelessly stylish (as opposed to fashionable) manner. Check the Styleforum 101 (above) if you want to get the general idea. If you want fashion, there's Streetwear & Denim - the other side of the forum. They are also very nice people (and some of us hang around in both), but they'll also be rather less welcoming to people coming in and trying to tell them how it is.

The OP was about how to wear a turquoise tie. Even you now seem to be admitting that there are better ties with even your suggested shirt. The thing about black shirts with ties is that while some people may be able to pull them off, it's generally the case that even for them a different, lighter colour shirt would be better. Even though they might look okay with a black shirt in some circumstances, depending on the jacket / suit you are wearing, all the ties you have posted above would look better with a white or light grey shirt than a black shirt. That's the point. A black shirt is almost always not the first choice of shirt with a tie and with good reason. As a casual shirt, it's a whole different story (and in case you are wondering, I do still own a casual black shirt or two).

I really know what I'm talking about here in a very personal way. When I was younger, I went through a phase of wearing almost nothing but black suits, black shirts and turquoise, neon green or grey ties. I thought I looked awesome. Just as a warning, I will repost this (tiny) picture:

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess it is option 2 since i am not trolling......not too many options :).

I was thinking black shirt with a grey tie. Maybe a combonation die of the 2nd and third one in with wider patern and a few thin solid black lines?

Some advice: surf the forum, learn from folks that are much better dressers than you. Clarity will be had after you put in some legwork.

You're defensive, claiming those who don't agree with your junior high prom look are "boring". Also, women and the laymen, don't get men's fashion for the most part, they are conditioned to think that loud outfits = fashion. If your goal is to get compliments, don't worry about it, if you want approval from true experts open your mind and learn. This realization set me straight in regard to my "ideas" when I first joined as well.

Check out posters Victor and Spoo.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score

White shirt / paler blue striped shirt / pale pink striped shirt / pale lemon striped / checked shirt etc. Any shirt that is pale and with pattern effectively.
However solid coloured very very bright ties are not the best to match.

this as well as gray, silver, and faint color tone on tone stripes.

For suits: dark gray, oxford, charcoal as well as cool toned dark browns. Tan would work for leisure suit/seersucker as well

Romans116

Reaction score
The goal of the MC part of the forum is first of all, to help people wear clothes that actually fit, and secondly, chose coherent combinations that look good in a timelessly stylish (as opposed to fashionable) manner. Check the Styleforum 101 (above) if you want to get the general idea. If you want fashion, there's Streetwear & Denim - the other side of the forum. They are also very nice people (and some of us hang around in both), but they'll also be rather less welcoming to people coming in and trying to tell them how it is.

The OP was about how to wear a turquoise tie. Even you now seem to be admitting that there are better ties with even your suggested shirt. The thing about black shirts with ties is that while some people may be able to pull them off, it's generally the case that even for them a different, lighter colour shirt would be better. Even though they might look okay with a black shirt in some circumstances, depending on the jacket / suit you are wearing, all the ties you have posted above would look better with a white or light grey shirt than a black shirt. That's the point. A black shirt is almost always not the first choice of shirt with a tie and with good reason. As a casual shirt, it's a whole different story (and in case you are wondering, I do still own a casual black shirt or two).

I really know what I'm talking about here in a very personal way. When I was younger, I went through a phase of wearing almost nothing but black suits, black shirts and turquoise, neon green or grey ties. I thought I looked awesome. Just as a warning, I will repost this (tiny) picture:

No suit coats for me i guess. But Ted Baker is my favorite Tie style so i guess i would get ripped on here for a lot of the stuff i wear. I am assuming most would say shirt and tie no coat is not a good idea but it works for me for the most part. I will consider buying some coats but i am already overdressed the way it is. Paisley ties are my favorite....are they ok? heh

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may feel better in your overpriced clothing but i buy what is comfortable and looks good. I just bought a new thomas pink shirt paired with an isaia tie and got zero compliments. I get more compliments from a van huesen shirt and non silk tie (gift).

:brick:

Just because the 60yo secretary who shops at Dress Barn liked your non-expensive combo doesn't mean a turquoise tie is justified. You'll notice that the Drake's, Zegna's, Ford's, Marinelli's, etc of the world don't produce shiny turquoise ties.

Here is the thing...this forum is about style in the classic/timeless sense. It is not a fashion thread, which is why there is very little discussion of D&G, Prada, Gucci, etc. This place is custom Savile Row and Neapolitan tailoring (some of it legit, some wannabe), benchmade footwear, and discussions on the uses of light and dark suede shoes. The OP's original topic is going to be viewed by a very small minority as being stylish, thus the responses you see about burning that tie. No reason for you to get overly defensive because you think it looks good. To each his own. But here, you are the 1%, and you just attacked the 99%. Gotta expect backlash.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No suit coats for me i guess. But Ted Baker is my favorite Tie style so i guess i would get ripped on here for a lot of the stuff i wear. I am assuming most would say shirt and tie no coat is not a good idea but it works for me for the most part. I will consider buying some coats but i am already overdressed the way it is. Paisley ties are my favorite....are they ok? heh

I think you'd really better stop giving people style advice and read the Styleforum 101, that's all I'm saying.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a turquiose(-ish) tie; it's not solid but a typically extravagant Pucci print. Nonetheless, I think it goes quite well with a white shirt (solid, or small-patterned) and either a dark charcoal or navy suit (solid, or with a minimum of pattern). Eyecatching and leery, for sure, but not egregiously so IMO. Of course, not what one might call a conservative choice either, naturally. But it can be toned into something interesting without being crazy, I think.

Funnily enough, I think a solid turquoise is harder to incorporate than my patterned turquiose tie. With a solid tie, it's probably best to stick to a very graphic, almost pseudo-futuristic, look and keep everything else solid too. Accept it for what it is rather than trying to make it conservative or workplace friendly. Wear it with a simple solid white shirt and solid navy suit (maybe something with a little sheen like a wool/mohair blend) for a night out somewhere appropriate for that sort of look (I'm struggling to think of a venue - maybe to a new, trendy restaurant? - but i'm not really a wild nightlife guy :) ).

Last edited:

baseball07

Reaction score
Quote:
This sounds like it may work, never thought of a Navy suit with it. Any sample pictures? FYI, darker skin tone, dark brown hair, hazel eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads