1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear a turquoise tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by baseball07, Sep 30, 2012.

1. baseball07

baseball07 Member

Hi everyone. I am looking for a shirt/suit color and combination which would be a good fit for this turquoise tie without looking like a "douche". I like the aqua tie color and I have been wanting to wear this color tie (Kenneth Cole) for about a year now, however everytime I go to pair it with a shirt/suit I end up looking like a douche. The only color it may look good with is a white shirt. Any suggestions/sample pictures? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Silk-Solid-Turquoise-NeckTie/dp/B000LY3JLW/ref=pd_sxp_f_i

2. coop86

coop86 Senior member

I'd go with a crisp white shirt and a dark navy/charcoal suit. See below.

[​IMG]

3. baseball07

baseball07 Member

Thank you. That was my initial assumption. I have paired it with a white shirt and a charcoal suit with light pin stripes once and it looked ok. Just wondering if there was anything more interesting to do with it.

4. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Not trying to be harsh, but you should probably just get rid of the tie.

2 people like this.
  5. baseball07

baseball07 Member

Thank you, that is just what I was looking for. I knew the douchey-ness was a little too much, I just needed a second opinion.

6. Romans116

Romans116 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a turquoise tie......

Why not wear black shirt?

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This is the way that you are guaranteed to look like a douchebag or a refugee from a cyberpunk science-fiction novel. Who are these people who sign on here just to give useless advice?

If you are sure you want to keep this tie, then keep the rest simple as the first reply suggested. But I don't think it would be anyone's first choice of neckwear here.

2 people like this.
  8. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Cyberpunk fans?

Also, we should probably add that if your tie has enough sheen to be used as a target for a laser rangefinder, then you should remove and dispose of said tie.

9. Testoni

Testoni New Member

Admittedly, this is a difficult one ...

My younger sister gave me a turquoise tie for Christmas. After much contemplation, I donated it. There's a high school kid somewhere that needs formal wear.

10. Romans116

Ahem. Maybe not everyone wants to look 50 years old? I would prefer darker shade of turquoise then the one showed but there is nothing wrong with color. So because it is my first post i have a useless opinion?

I wouldn't wear a solid on solid but almost any tie can look good with the right shirt.

You may feel better in your overpriced clothing but i buy what is comfortable and looks good. I just bought a new thomas pink shirt paired with an isaia tie and got zero compliments. I get more compliments from a van huesen shirt and non silk tie (gift).

And honestly a ted baker tie with a fun design is fun and very sharp. And heck maybe can make you stand out in a good way if you have an outgoing personality.

But ya the tie could be a better shade but it is the person wearing the clothes that makes them look good not the price.

11. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

White shirt / paler blue striped shirt / pale pink striped shirt / pale lemon striped / checked shirt etc. Any shirt that is pale and with pattern effectively.

However solid coloured very very bright ties are not the best to match.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Perhaps when you've shown us how good you look, you might earn the respect that will lead to people taking your opinions seriously. Until then, I suggest you hang around here a little longer and learn some stuff... like I did, and like lots of other people do. You'll find people are really welcoming and helpful here... if you don't arrive thinking you already know everything worth knowing. Just some advice.

13. Romans116

If i get compliments from good looking women and made fun of by dudes with no style. That is a good start imho.

Maybe i look like **** and i don't know it.

14. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

"PTWilliams" says that too.

It seems so. :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Nobody looks good in a black shirt except Richard Belzer. Are you Richard Belzer?

16. Romans116

Really.....not even with grey pant tie with a slight pop of color....or gray tie of some sprt...

17. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

You're either trolling or totally delusional.

18. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Navy suit, white shirt, the tie. It works

19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

20. EMLopez

EMLopez Member

Wouldn't some of these decisions depend on his skin, hair, and eye color?