1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to Wear A Tie Clip

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Dress to the Nines

Dress to the Nines Member

Tie bars should be worn at a slight angle not to bisect the body. Remember it should attach to the shirt as well.

2. empyre.01d2

empyre.01d2 Senior member

Tie bars should be worn at a slight angle not to bisect the body. Remember it should attach to the shirt as well.

Really? I always thought they acted like a weight at the bottom of the tie...though I guess that makes sense as well. Will anyone back this up?

3. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Really? I always thought they acted like a weight at the bottom of the tie...though I guess that makes sense as well. Will anyone back this up?

It should be attached to your shirt as well.

4. empyre.01d2

empyre.01d2 Senior member

Uhn. That makes complete sense though. I love this forum! [​IMG]

5. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

I saw somewhere a person who was wearing a tie clip by running the narrow end through the label loop, then clipping the narrow end to the shirt placket where the entire tie bar is concealed behind the tie.

Does anyone know about this? Cause if this is acceptable, I might just get a tie bar. I think the idea of keeping one's tie in place is nice, but I think it is a bit stuffy to have extra jewelry. Just my opinion. The only jewelry I find acceptable is buckle on shoe/belt, cuff links, wedding band, and watch. Everything else, I find too superfluous.

6. Per

Per Active Member

In my opinion a tie clip is better not worn at all. Why mess up a tie with an ugly piece of metal on the middle of it?

7. noVA99

noVA99 Senior member

if you work near machinery and/or food service and have to wear a tie, then a tie bar is a must, otherwise, for me, a tie bar messes up the whole flow of the tie

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

A jaunty 45 degree downward angle is my preferred method of wearing a tie bar.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

10. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Paul Stuart has some up on their website now. Seems like a pretty fair price, although I'm not sure I like the propeller one...

http://www.paulstuart.com/category_t...headermenuid=1

Really? I think the propeller one is great. I'm so tempted to buy one right now.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Really? I think the propeller one is great. I'm so tempted to buy one right now.

I think it gets too close to costume, but I've never worn a tie bar/clip so I'm perhaps not the best judge.

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it gets too close to costume, but I've never worn a tie bar/clip so I'm perhaps not the best judge.

I wear one every day, and I think the propeller is a little silly. Actually, the one I like best is the one in the upper pic, but that does not appear to be on offer.

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

They seem to cut against the free flowing looks of today. Sometimes they can have a certain youthful, retro chic like a thin tie paired with a short sleeved shirt for that hipster/office look.

Unless long enough, they only seem to work with narrow ties. Even when long enough, they leave an indentation in the silk which needs to be steamed out (thats is, if it doesnt crush the pile permanently)

14. danbachran2

danbachran2 Well-Known Member

sorry if this is considered thread jacking, but what about tie pins? i have an antique tie pin that my great grandfather gave me, and i like it a lot.

15. Manton

[​IMG]

In 20 years, I have never had to steam a tie because of a dent in the silk, nor has my tie bar permanently damaged a single tie. Maybe I'm just lucky.

16. Manton

sorry if this is considered thread jacking, but what about tie pins? i have an antique tie pin that my great grandfather gave me, and i like it a lot.

You mean tie tacks? Things that stick through the tie and pin it to the shirt? Or collar pins, a pin that pulls together the two sides of the shirt collar under the tie knot?

As to the former, I see no point with a four in hand tie. Maybe if you are trying for an antique look. They make sense with billowing formal ascots, but when are you going to wear those?

As to the latter, they can be very nice but they are "fussy" and noticable. A true pin, as opposed to a bar put through two eyelet holes in the collar, will rough up the collar over time.

17. danbachran2

You mean tie tacks? Things that stick through the tie and pin it to the shirt? Or collar pins, a pin that pulls together the two sides of the shirt collar under the tie knot?

As to the former, I see no point with a four in hand tie. Maybe if you are trying for an antique look. They make sense with billowing formal ascots, but when are you going to wear those?

As to the latter, they can be very nice but they are "fussy" and noticable. A true pin, as opposed to a bar put through two eyelet holes in the collar, will rough up the collar over time.

well mine is a pin with a back and then there is a chain that attaches to the button. I haven't had any problems with it ruining any ties[​IMG]

18. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

then wear it. If it has sentimental value, that's a great conversation piece. What's it look like?

It may snag the tie but generally holes put in the tie, you can steam out.

19. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Senior member

20. danbachran2

then wear it. If it has sentimental value, that's a great conversation piece. What's it look like?

It may snag the tie but generally holes put in the tie, you can steam out.

it is square, and silver, and it has an asterisk design on the front of it, and there is a chain that attaches to the button