• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a panama hat

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the look of the panama hat. And on summer i'm gonna try this out on my vacation to Singapore. My question is now: How to pull it off the best way as casual and formal (linen suit?)

And which models, brand andquality is the best one. Borsalino maybe?

Pictures would be great.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Proper Panamas are made in Ecuador not Panama, so start by checking the label to see where it's made. The best are called Montecritis and have a texture like linen such that they could easily be rolled up and pocketed without any harm. They are very expensive.

I would suggest getting two if you like them. Get a more formal fedora styled one that you can wear with a light blazer, linen jacket, even jacket less for your evening stroll for food and drinks. Then get a more rigid cheap pork pie one to wear with shorts on the beach that won't break your heart if you lose it in the wind or a seagull shites on it.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proper Panamas are made in Ecuador not Panama, so start by checking the label to see where it's made. The best are called Montecritis and have a texture like linen such that they could easily be rolled up and pocketed without any harm. They are very expensive.

I would suggest getting two if you like them. Get a more formal fedora styled one that you can wear with a light blazer, linen jacket, even jacket less for your evening stroll for food and drinks. Then get a more rigid cheap pork pie one to wear with shorts on the beach that won't break your heart if you lose it in the wind or a seagull shites on it.
Damn $7500 is way out of my league. Didn't even know there was so expensive hats...

I found a Borsalino hat in town that I liked but will check the info on that. It was around $250. And that's actually more then I want to spend.

How does the formal fedora look if you can show that. So I know what to look for (is it the normal ones?)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give Optimo a try. http://www.optimohatworks.com/

I am unsure of the make on Sean Connery.

There are also rollable models for traveling....

Read: http://www.panamahatfacts.com/tag/optimo-panama-hat

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks will check that out.

Optimo seems more formal then casual? Or it could be used as both?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great link Lefty, thank you. I like the audio testimonials section there. Real nice.

Caicaraskiki

Reaction score
June 27, 2013

I just bought a real Ecuadorian Panama hat in Saugatuck, Michigan last weekend. The inside band states, "Ecuador Hats," "100% Paja Toquilla - Natural Montecristi."

I paid $30.00, as did my cousin and brother. Bought them here:

http://www.otavalito.com/ - hope that's not a violation. Looks just like the one being worn by Sean Connery.

Mid-Modernist

Reaction score

Probably not. But the Panama deserves it's own.

I got a rollable Optimo Cuenca for £50 from http://www.panamahats.co.uk/, It's not bad, but I've also ordered a Montecristi fedora from https://www.brentblack.com/ (for considerably more!). My thinking is a sun hat is a good thing to have, and a panama is the nicest straw hat of all. Hopefully I will get years out out them. We don't get too much sun in Ireland, but since we tend towards the pale skinned, it's more important that we protect ourselves when the sun emerges.

Will post a few pic's when I get a chance.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my Brent Black Panama hat this week. Keeps the sun off my bald head.

I wear mine pretty much any time I am planning on spending much time walking around outside in the sun (when I'm not wearing athletic clothing.) Back when my kids were playing sports, the hat got used every weekend for spectating their sporting activities.

Goes fine with anything from jeans to khakis, to linen.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic:

(Cross posted from WAYWRN casual)

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Ecuador for several years before most of you were born.
I picked up a cheap one at an open air market. It probably cost the
equivalent of fifty cents. It looked presentable for decades. I still have
it somewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads